FORUMS: list search recent posts

keeping Apple Motion media on external drives?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hamish lyons
keeping Apple Motion media on external drives?
on Nov 25, 2008 at 3:38:45 pm

Is it possible to keep all the Motion templates and Library media on an external drive and still have Motion load it into the project? I've tried putting an alias in the local drive's motion library directory but that hasn't worked, and I can't seem to find anything along the lines of a "find media" or "reconnect" media within motion. I imagine surely other people have experienced this conundrum as keeping all gigs of media on the local drive can be quite space consuming!
cheer hamish

Return to posts index

hamish lyons
Re: keeping Apple Motion media on external drives?
on Nov 25, 2008 at 3:44:36 pm

no sooner had I written this post I had gone back to motion and lo and behold in the preferences is an option to choose where content library is sourced from!

Return to posts index

Sam Nuttmann
on Mar 4, 2009 at 10:40:49 pm

I am attempting to keep all Final Cut Studio content on an external drive and I have found that it works fine by running the install disc and directing the content to your drive. However, here is the thing that is driving me nuts and would love some pointers on how to fix this: If you fire up Motion and the drive with the content is not connected to your computer, Motion will not be able to find the content media which makes perfect sense - the drive isn't connected - but when you reconnect the drive, Motion can no longer find the content. Then you have to reinstall the content to reconnect it inside Motion which takes forever. Any ideas anyone? There should be a way to reconnect the library, but so far, I haven't found anything. Oh, and going into System Preferences and refreshing the library location doesn't work either.

Return to posts index

Pat DeFilippo
on Nov 14, 2009 at 4:24:10 pm

Hello,

I'm having the same problem - I have the content and templates on a separate drive, and I went to Motion's preferences and re-directed Motion's "Library Path" to this drive. However, when I re-open Motion and go to the "Library" tab, the "Path" is blank and there is nothing displayed in "Content" and six other groups.

Would anyone know how to fix this? I tried trashing Motion's preferences and re-directed the Library Path back to the external drive, but I get the same result.

Thanks,
-Pat

G5 Quad 2.5 Desktop with 4GB Ram, 500GB HD & Fiber Card ~
30" Cinema Display & 17" Sony SVGA ~
Swift Data 200 Internal 1.6TB SATA II RAID 0 ~
AJA Io LA ~
Final Cut Studio 2 ~
Sony UVW-1800 Beta-SP ~
Sony DSR-40 DVCam ~
2.33ghz MacBook Pro 17" (with FCS2) ~~~

P D Post Productions, Inc. ~
TV~DVD~VHS~CD~WEB
for Corporate Communications, Commercials, Infomercials, Television Programs and Family Occasions since 1983 ~
E-mail PD@PDPost.com ~
Website http://www.PDPost.com ~
Business/Cell Phone (847) 275-5671

Return to posts index

Philip Leech
on Jan 21, 2010 at 10:46:48 pm

Hi there,

i am having exactly the same issue. Due to the fact that I work off a lap top and have limited HD space, I keep the extra FCS content on my scratch disk, and Motion just doesn't seem to be able to remember where it is.

When installing, it allows you to choose a location to store it, so there surely must be a way that it can remember it? Or is what we are experiencing just a glitch?

Regards,

Philip

Return to posts index

george redden
on Apr 29, 2011 at 10:01:04 pm

I'd love someone to answer this very question- it's driving me nuts. Ever since I moved my scratch disk to my external hard drive, motion can't find the media files. I've been at it forever and am starting to wonder if I need to be computer scientist in order to be a filmmaker.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]