FORUMS: list search recent posts

Must Be a Better Way-Send clip from Final cut for optical flow ramping

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Jenkins
Must Be a Better Way-Send clip from Final cut for optical flow ramping
on Nov 11, 2008 at 6:40:05 pm

Im sending a clip from my final cut timeline to motion. Im doing a ramp using optical flow setting. It appears that the clip that is sent into motion is the entire media file (over 6000 frames) and not just the cut clip from the timeline ( about 90 frames ) the analyzing for optical flow will take 82 hours and probably 500 gigs of hard drive space. Really ridiculous if you ask me. So what Im doing is exporting the clip from the timeline as a self contained quicktime using current settings. Then importing that export back into my final cut project. Then I bring back onto my timeline, then send to motion from there. The reason im bringing the export back into final cut to send to motion is when you send from final cut your settings go into the motion project. This is "Killing Me" :) PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TELL ME A BETTER WAY. IS THIS THE ONLY WAY? IS THIS THE BEST WAY? THERE HAS GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY. THANKS

system: g5 dual 1.8 / 2 gig Ram / FCP studio 2

Brad J.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Must Be a Better Way-Send clip from Final cut for optical flow ramping
on Nov 11, 2008 at 6:58:35 pm

Sorry but that's the only way. For whatever reason optical does not accept in/out points and always wants to analyze the original media from start to finish.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Brad Jenkins
on Nov 11, 2008 at 7:01:48 pm

Damn, Thanks Noah

Brad J.

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on Nov 12, 2008 at 4:18:32 am

I just finished a project that I did a lot of retiming on, hit this same issue with optical flow analysis. So, before sending the retimed clips to Motion, I used Media Manager on the sequence to make a copy of the footage and trim to just the media used.

For all the flak people give the Media Mangler, it worked perfectly for this. Kept all the retiming information almost perfectly, and left only the media actually used in the timeline, so the optical flow analysis went far more quickly in Motion.

If you don't want to media manage your whole sequence, copy your retimed clips to a new sequence and just MM that. Just make sure that it's copying, not deleting your media...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]