FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blur when size reduce

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Smith
Blur when size reduce
on Nov 7, 2008 at 10:11:34 pm

I'm still searching for a solution. It just doesn't make any sense that when I take a video and make it smaller, I LOSE quality!!!???

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, or what they do to keep the quality when shrinking video?

Video is shot is 720X480 Standard NTSC footage. Once in Motion, if I shrink the video size even 1%, I notice a drastic loss in quality.

Please help!

Thanks!
Ian

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Blur when size reduce
on Nov 8, 2008 at 1:11:08 am

In Motion or in your final renders? Also what's the source? For example HDV forces a re-render on any size changes and can quickly fall apart with rendering.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Ian Smith
on Nov 10, 2008 at 1:03:45 pm

It seems to lose it's quality immediately after changing size before render and will look the same after render.

Literally, as soon as I press the arrow to make the video shrink from 100% to 99% and smaller it instantly looses it's clarity. It looks as if it's an interlacing issue or something. As I then move the entire video image vertically down one line at a time it will gain or lose depending on the odd or even number of moves, but maintains it's quality loss.

Ian

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 10, 2008 at 2:51:48 pm

Ian-

We really can't help you much if you don't let us know what your source footage format is. Pretend like we can't see your computer from here.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.

Return to posts index

Ian Smith
on Nov 10, 2008 at 4:27:01 pm

I'm sorry... the footage is filmed with a Canon XHA1, and shot in SD at 720x480.
In Motion, I have the Project Properties set to:
NTSC DV, 720 X 480
8 Bit, Dither (unchecked)
NTSC D1/DV at .90 pixel aspect ratio
Lower First (even) Field Order
BG - Transparent

It is being sent from Final Cut Pro if that makes any difference. I can list those specs to if wanted...

Thanks!

Ian

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 11, 2008 at 7:09:53 pm

What happens when you change the project settings to uncompressed vs. DV?

-Noah

Return to posts index

Ian Smith
on Nov 11, 2008 at 9:35:02 pm

I've got a client waiting on it, so I've pulled an all nighter trying to figure things out.

In response to you Noah,... where did you want me to check that setting? I checked within Motion, and I don't have that option. So then I checked within Final Cut, and I was able to change the sequence settings to 8-Bit Uncompressed. Then I re-rendered out a Motion Clip on the Final Cut timeline. Still, the clip is perfect at 100%, but 99% and smaller when scaling became blurred again.

As of last night and today I've had the best luck with the following:
Capturing footage within Final Cut Pro and dragging it to the timeline. Then pulling that clip into Motion where I key out green screen footage with a DVGarage plug-in. When happy, I go back to Final Cut timeline and export the footage at 640 X 480 Progressive. *I tried both (Lower line interlaced, and Progressive*
Then, I go into the main Motion project that contains several still images. I then import the progressive dv footage I just exported from Final Cut. I am then able to scale the video down to about 74%, and for the most part it seems to hold its clarity.

Naturally, this is a VERY long process to complete something that should really be as simple as clicking the down scale arrow. Something still isn't figured out. This was just a long way to get a job done under time constraint.

Thank you very much for your help thus far!
Ian

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Nov 11, 2008 at 9:45:35 pm

Ian,

The moment you go 'off pixel' or as you say go from 100% to 99% then the video will go slightly soft as you are asking FCP to work out new pixels.

A few things

1) Make sure you have the canvas set to 100%, then you will see both fields
2) Try to look at your timeline on an external monitor
3) Render, by default FCP puts everything at 50% resolution before a render
4) Turn off overlays, FCP uses a different render pipeline for these and there can be a softening and/or black lift.

Hope that helps

Peter

Return to posts index

Ian Smith
on Nov 12, 2008 at 2:05:38 pm

Noah, and Peter,

Thank you both a million. The problem has been diagnosed. I do want to write all this out for anyone in the future to also have this problem.

Peter, in your words... "The moment you go 'off pixel' or as you say go from 100% to 99% then the video will go slightly soft as you are asking FCP to work out new pixels. " is exactly what conclusion I have come to find out.

The footage I have been using is of people at more of a Full Shot, when the final piece I am needing is more of a Medium Shot to even Close Up.

When taking two separate video segments of the same interview, 1st segment shot at a little larger than typical Medium Shot (current footage being Belly Button and Up), and the 2nd segment being a true Close Up... when in Motion I can't decrease the 1st segment at all before (as Peter mentioned) loosing all clarity because Motion is trying to make up pixels. However, I can decrease the 2nd segment down to 21% of it's original size while still looking as crisp and clear as it was filmed.

The entire thing boils down to... FRAME AND FILM EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT TO END UP USING.

I do have an additional question leading from this.

I am able to take the same video (1st segment filmed from Belly Button Up) in QuickTime, and shrink it and maintain the image clarity. Why isn't it just as simple to do in Motion or Final Cut?

Thank you all for your help!

Ian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]