FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mask feathering not very soft?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miles Conder
Mask feathering not very soft?
on Nov 5, 2008 at 5:55:01 pm

Hi,
Can someone tell me if i am going crazy but is the mask feathering in motion not very soft or expansive . I have been doing work in motion for a while but seem to revert to after effects if it involves soft edge masks, i would like to just use motion as i find it overall so much quicker than after effects for many things.
When i do a mask i increase the feathering to maximum with little effect other than a softer edge, i can only compare it to after effects which gives a lot more softness for multi composites.
It would be good to hear if anyone else experiences this and if not maybe it's something i am not doing right?
Many thanks
Miles

Miles Conder
Freelance Editor
London UK.

System:
FCP 6.04
AJA Kona 3
MacPro 8 core
10 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600
4TB Fibre Array 12TB Storage

Return to posts index

Matthew Clift
Re: Mask feathering not very soft?
on Nov 6, 2008 at 2:03:00 am

In the HUD you can only expand the feather to 100 or 200 from memory. Also in the inspector you can only move the slider that far as well. However you can type in a larger number into the inspector (such as 400 or larger). This is how I get softer edges.

http://www.mattclift.com

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
Re: Mask feathering not very soft?
on Nov 6, 2008 at 8:44:32 pm

[Miles Conder] "When i do a mask i increase the feathering to maximum with little effect other than a softer edge"

I am able to create a mask and adjust the feather to 1000 pixels. It creates a great, soft mask that feathers nicely.

You can also create an image with a gradient and use it as an image mask. You would then have precise control over the mask because of the gradient.

Alan

Alan Smith
Media317

Check out my blog - http://media317.com

Return to posts index

Miles Conder
Re: Mask feathering not very soft? Thank you both so much!
on Nov 7, 2008 at 11:40:58 am

Guys thats brilliant, exactly what i was looking for.
Thanks you both so much, i have happy grin on my face!
Miles

Miles Conder
Freelance Editor
London UK.

System:
FCP 6.04
AJA Kona 3
MacPro 8 core
10 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600
4TB Fibre Array 12TB Storage

Return to posts index