FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which codecs support alpha channels in Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Holton
Which codecs support alpha channels in Motion
on Oct 26, 2008 at 4:37:50 pm

I'm trying to export a quicktime from a motion project with the transparency/alpha channel embedded. I can do this fine using the Animation codec BUT when I try to use a different codec such as ProRes or H.264 the alpha information is not included in the resulting Quicktime. I have my encode setting to Color + alpha. Do these codecs not support alpha?

Stuart

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
Re: Which codecs support alpha channels in Motion
on Oct 26, 2008 at 4:39:10 pm

Nope, has to be Animation+ You could however export an image sequence and that would also have an alpha per image.

You could also drag the Motion project into FCP and render on the timeline.

Peter

Return to posts index

Stuart Holton
on Oct 27, 2008 at 9:52:32 am

Thanks Peter,

Other than Animation or image sequences are there any other video codecs which support alpha?

S

Return to posts index

Ed Romero
on Sep 1, 2010 at 8:53:44 pm

Thanks for the response. Is there a better way to do this?

An image sequence can be in the hundreds... Is there a way to stitch all the image files into one clip? Or is it possible to trim all the image sequence files simultaneously to avoid having to trim or shrink each image in the time line. (using final cut pro 6, and AE on a PC)

What other codecs support transparency (beside png and animation) Also, when I tried for animation, I can only select animation gif, and the quality is terrible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Sep 1, 2010 at 9:05:07 pm

you can stitch lots of different files in Quicktime pro. Open Quicktime and under a file select Open Image Sequence then select your first image in your image sequence and click open. Then you will get another window asking you to specify the frame rate and other, etc. it is very easy to use it. As far as the Alpha is concerned you have to save it in Apple Pro Res 4444 or Animation codec. I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Ed Romero
on Sep 3, 2010 at 12:26:30 pm

That's fantastic. Quick time animation is much easier. Why would anyone want to export 100's of png's?
The problem I was having was using codecs which don't support alpha channels.
I'm using AE, but good to know this will work for motion as well.

Thank you Zak.

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Sep 3, 2010 at 12:52:40 pm

Glad to Help. quicktime is very powerful program, just search for some tutorials online.

Return to posts index

Jorge Berenguer
on Oct 28, 2008 at 1:26:07 am

I have the same problem exporting in Motion first, the movie with an alpha, and trying to open it back in Final Cut Pro. The alpha channels are not supported. And I don't know if it is Final Cut's or Motion fault.

Regards,

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Sep 1, 2010 at 9:07:53 pm

when exporting files are you using Millions of Colours + or Millions of Colours. Even though you can select the Animation Codec that does not necessarily means that is exporting Alpha Channel. A Millions of Colours + must be selected from the pull down menu. i hope this helps...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]