FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting effect, Revealing objects with light.

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Detjen
Lighting effect, Revealing objects with light.
on Oct 21, 2008 at 5:15:32 pm

I need some assistance on mimicking a lighting effect. My project overview: as a door opens light spills forth, and as the light spills forth the face of the door is revealed. I attached a JPG reference so you can see what I am trying to accomplish:

Currently I have a black box on top of the door, and as the door swings open the black box fades out to reveal the color of the door. It looks OK for the few seconds that the motion occurs, however I wonder if there is a better way to mimic this lighting effect. Again, trying to emulate having the face of the door revealed by the light spilling forth from the doorway.

Note: I am working with Motion 2.1.2

Thank you

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
Re: Lighting effect, Revealing objects with light.
on Oct 23, 2008 at 1:25:14 pm

To create the look you cannot use lights in Motion. Lights do not interact with objects to cast shadows or to pass through doors. You will need to create a shape object with the color you want you light to be and then add some filters to get the look you want. I was able to get a decent look quickly by using the Light Rays Filter. By key framing various parameters you can get the feel that the light is falling into the space. By key framing the color of the door you can get the door color revealed from black to green. You will need to play around with various objects and colors to really get a quality light ray look, but using filters and emitters you should be able to get the look.

Alan

Alan Smith
Media317

Check out my blog - http://media317.com

Return to posts index

Chris Detjen
Re: Lighting effect, Revealing objects with light.
on Oct 23, 2008 at 3:22:07 pm

Thanks for the advice. I guess I was in the ball park. I used the Light Rays filter to create the light beams and applied the prism blur to add a subtle enhancement. The reveal of the door was a simple fade behavior from black to full color. I'll continue to experiment with filters to enhance the look.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]