FORUMS: list search recent posts

Selective Color / HSV / Replace Color / Change Color for Motion?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Osiri Sioux
Selective Color / HSV / Replace Color / Change Color for Motion?
on Oct 9, 2008 at 12:35:32 am

I'm looking for a plug-in that would be able to do the same thing that After Effects' "Change Color" effect does, except in Motion; let's say someone's wearing a blue hat and you wanted to change the blue hat to green.

I've looked at a number of plug-in suites, but a lot of them are $500+ and all I need is the one effect. Needless to say, I can't get Adobe's plug-ins to work in Motion.

Photoshop's "Hue/Saturation" adjustment is great because it allows you to choose which channel you're affecting, and even limit the effect to a specific band of the spectrum. "Change Color" in After Effects is also pretty good.

I haven't been able to find any way to limit HSV adjustments in Motion to specific channels or colors, although this seems like it should be a pretty basic feature...

Does anyone know of a method for doing this in Motion, or an inexpensive plug in (under $100) that has this capability?

Thanks!!!

Nick

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Selective Color / HSV / Replace Color / Change Color for Motion?
on Oct 9, 2008 at 12:38:56 am

If you own Studio 2, you already own Color. That's the $25,000 "plug-in" that's included with Studio 2 and can do this incredibly easily.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Osiri Sioux
on Oct 9, 2008 at 12:41:11 am

What I'd need to be able to do is change the colors of several different layers (each image masked) independently. Does Color allow you to work with layers this way? I thought it could only open Quicktime Files as opposed to Motion projects...

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 9, 2008 at 12:51:11 am

[Osiri Sioux] "Does Color allow you to work with layers this way? I thought it could only open Quicktime Files as opposed to Motion projects..."

It does not work with Motion projects. You would place your layers of video on multiple video tracks in FCP and then send that FCP Project to Color to do this. You have 8 secondaries per shot with an Inside/Outside control for each secondary so in theory you could change the color of at least 8 items in each shot.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Oct 10, 2008 at 8:34:46 pm

Motion has several color corrections filters that might work for you, including an HSL color corrector, a tint filter, etc.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Osiri Sioux
on Oct 10, 2008 at 8:39:33 pm

I thought Motion would have something built-in too...

But the HSV Adjust filter, as well as the Tint filter, apply the changes to the entire layer... I haven't been able to figure out a way to limit their adjustments to just one color...

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Oct 10, 2008 at 8:59:21 pm

The process is complicated, but you would duplicate the layer, then use a key or a mask to knock-out the area on that duplicate, then apply the tint.

If that's too much work, take a look at Magic Bullet Colorista from Red Giant. It has a built in mask feature to isolate an area for you.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Scott Winters
on Feb 28, 2011 at 3:56:39 pm

Walter.... As a test, I was looking for the same solution in Motion, and the key technique you suggested works well. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]