Motion lost HOURS of work without obvious issues!!??
I had a project in which I spent hours animating a graphic into a scene. The project has been done for months now. However, I recently needed to reopen the project file through Final Cut, and re-export out a Quicktime file and ALL of the animations are completely UNanimated!! The crazy thing is, scrubbing through the Final Cut timeline, you can watch the animation as if it is perfect... BUT when you export, or open the Motion project file the animation is non existent. Please help!
To add to this mess....I opened up another project that was giving me similar issues of 'ignoring my efforts' and the font seems to be different on my lower thirds graphics throughout.
I have the start to a solution however, but if someone else knows more about this issue I'd love to hear more about what causes it and if there are ways for me to prevent this in the future.
If I am in the Final Cut timeline, I can view the graphics and lower thirds text with the correct animations and text. However, if I then "open in editor", the Motion file shows incorrectly and ignores my animations in one project, and text font in the other project.
If I go into my file directory on the computer, and open the Motion project from there, it is correct again!
THEN, if I go back into Final Cut timeline and "open in editor", the Motion document is correct, where it wasn't the first time I opened from the Final Cut timeline.
Now, when I export everything is correct.
It seems to be losing it's cache and/or render files somehow without me moving or losing anything. Anyone else have a word on this?
Thank you for reading!
Ok, so it looks like no one else has experience this problem that has read this at least... BUT
I will give the results as I have found them with my given task.
The lower thirds text problems were fixed as written in the last post. However, I was incorrectly assuming that, that would be the same fix for the "lost motion tracking" from another project.
In this project, I added a graphic logo into the background on several fast moving high energy shots. Some of the shots I was able to simply add a "match move", and Motion would do most of the work by making it look like it's really there. However, some of them I had to manipulate several of the key frames myself, taking several hours to make look as good as possible. The project has been done for months now. However, recently I opened the project up again to export from Final Cut, and the Motion match moves were lost. When I went into Motion, everything is EXACTLY as I remember. It even shows the key frames for the match moves, BUT NOTHING HAPPENS! ??? I'm not sure how Motion could be ignoring itself.
Anyway, the quickest solution I could figure out was to highlight ALL of the key frames at once, and copy them into the same match move... and do this for every one in every file. Took around an hour total, but saved me from having to redo everything taking a day or more.
What I noticed in both cases, the text problem and the match move problem... it's as if Motion on its own replaced the text in the first case, and key frame references on the other case with another.
With the text, it was replaced by another text format. With the key frames, when I would copy and paste, the COLOR of the key frames would be pasted in different meaning that you're now manipulating another axis or field.
I know this post is a bit jumpy, and may be hard to follow along but I do hope that maybe someone will get something from it and not have the same problem with no solution in sight as I had.