FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help creating luminance mattes and displacement maps

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
Help creating luminance mattes and displacement maps
on Sep 26, 2008 at 8:12:12 pm

I'm trying to translate the techniques in this After Effects tutorial to Motion, but I'm running up against a couple of brick walls.

I want to be able to apply a custom luminance matte to a piece of text to create an "eroded" effect, but I can't work out how I might do this. Secondly, Motion's built-in Bump Map filter doesn't seem to be anywhere near as nice as the Displacement Map one in After Effects. Can anyone help with the former, and/or suggest a good third-party displacement map filter for Motion?

Return to posts index

Jim Johnson
Re: Help creating luminance mattes and displacement maps
on Sep 27, 2008 at 5:57:09 am

Howdy,

Motion has a few different displacement filters, each with strengths and weaknesses. Have you checked out Displace and Indent? I don't see anything in the Meyers' tutorial that can't be done in Motion.

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
Re: Help creating luminance mattes and displacement maps
on Sep 27, 2008 at 10:39:49 am

[Jim Johnson] " I don't see anything in the Meyers' tutorial that can't be done in Motion."

That's great, so could you explain how I can turn an image into a luminance matte which I can then apply to a piece of text?

I'd also be grateful for any advice on the best displacement filter to use to get text seeming to flow into and around the textural irregularities in the background layer. I've tried Bump Map and Displace, but despite a lot of parameter-tweaking, neither even seems to come close to creating the right sort of effect. Haven't tried Indent yet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]