FORUMS: list search recent posts

Progressive Material in NTSC project

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Tetamore
Progressive Material in NTSC project
on Sep 18, 2008 at 2:58:03 am

I'm editing a feature that includes a lot of material including 3d animations that will be mastered to a SD NTSC DVD for presentation. My question is what is the proper codec workflow so that the 3D camera movement in the animations looks smooth?

Source is QT Animation No Compression NTSC Progressive fields. When playing back in QT Player it looks great.

Motion timeline is of course NTSC 8Bit uncompressed Low Fields.

Result is stuttering or jittering in the portions of the video where the animations are on the final DVD.

I did try formatting the original animations using Compressor to Apple Pro Res 422 Low Flds and also the 8 Bit Low Fields, but they both produce the same result.

The Visual Rabbi

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Progressive Material in NTSC project
on Sep 18, 2008 at 11:03:16 am

Why not set the timeline to fields none?

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Brian Tetamore
on Sep 18, 2008 at 2:35:09 pm

yeah. I created a copy of the Motion Project and changed the project settings to NO fields. Then mastered that out as animation NO flds, and in FCP created a sequence using Animation NO Flds (needed to add music) and then mastered that out as QuickTime Conversion Animation No flds and finally formatted to mpeg2 using compressor. The results are better that what I was getting, although there are a couple areas where you still have some slight skipping. Maybe it's just the limitation of NTSC video?

The Visual Rabbi

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 18, 2008 at 3:34:14 pm

Depends what the source footage is. If it's all animation there's no problem delivering a 30p MPEG2. If there's some video in there that's 60i then you have to deliver as 60i and so on.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.

Return to posts index

Brian Tetamore
on Sep 18, 2008 at 3:53:11 pm

The majority of the project is in 8bit uncompressed NTSC. It's a feature that includes a custom intro, graphics, text, music, and the animations. It's presented on DVD, but portions will be uploaded to their web site.

I'm assuming that next time I should ask the animation company to be sure to send an interlaced version, correct?

I was thinking that FCP and Motion would handle the formatting correctly. I guess that's not the case.

The Visual Rabbi

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 18, 2008 at 10:07:02 pm

Well again it depends. If it's all animation there's no reason to not be 100% progressive. The only reason to have interlaced is when you have 60i footage unavoidably. Both web and DVD can be 100% progressive.

-Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]