FORUMS: list search recent posts

Warping video to be curved to fit around a curved surface..and other distortions/perspectives

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raymond adams
Warping video to be curved to fit around a curved surface..and other distortions/perspectives
on Sep 17, 2008 at 5:41:27 am

Hi All,

I'm new to Motion...but an old production work horse.
31 years +

Is there any way...or plugin/script to allow you to manipulate and distort/warp a video plane to fit into a curved surface...

I'm looking to work with a couple Vsets...that I will need to map video into areas...that have warped surfaces on. I'm needing to keep this simple for a client to easily work with motion/FCP with.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Ray Adams

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Warping video to be curved to fit around a curved surface..and other distortions/perspectives
on Sep 17, 2008 at 7:53:28 pm

Not really. Motion has no real 3d capabilities,it's just sheets of paper hanging in a dark garage.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8013765�

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

Raymond adams
Re: Warping video to be curved to fit around a curved surface..and other distortions/perspectives
on Sep 17, 2008 at 8:54:55 pm

I'm not looking for true 3D...just a way to warp and distort...like DVE's used to do...and most compositors do standard.

Cheers,

Ray Adams

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Sep 18, 2008 at 2:28:33 pm

> I'm not looking for true 3D...just a way to warp and distort...like DVE's used to do...and most compositors do standard. <

> Is there any way...or plugin/script to allow you to manipulate and distort/warp a video plane to fit into a curved surface... <

A "distort/warp" operation performed to create a "curved surface" requires 3 dimensions by my definition. If all you need to do is simulate perspective, that's easy. If you need to simulate a curved surface, it simply cannot be done accurately, it's merely a hack, just like in After Effects. an Motion offers no reality-based shadows cast by lights which makes the illusion even more difficult to fake. Your requirement for "easy" is likely to be trumped by the limitations of this underpowered application.
However, the ability to create and store master templates can make virtual sets fast to recreate.

We see this misperception about Motion's 3d abilities from newbies daily around here and, afterall, you did state you were new to Motion. There is an entire collection of distortion filters provided with the application. When you are finished learning how to use those, which operate pretty much like they do in After Effects and Ye Olde Squeezoom, try asking this question again.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]