FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D table is Freaking out!

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Conor Smith
3D table is Freaking out!
on Aug 29, 2008 at 1:18:39 pm

I work for a high end tooling company who also makes instructional videos for fine woodworking techniques. I have built a table in 3D by taking photos of table legs, cutting out the 4 sides in photoshop and piecing them back together in motion as a 3d table. It looks great except for the fact that now when the camera moves around the table, individual layers are "Freaking out" Exploading into a digital mess. When I add a light forget it. The whole table turns into an array of blue, yellow, green pixels spread across each layer plane. As you can imagine this is quite frustrating. I've made one table that works really well (link to a crappy Youtube version of a basic rotation

) but the new table has a few more layers.

I'm a little stuck and any help would be great. Thanks

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: 3D table is Freaking out!
on Aug 29, 2008 at 3:08:54 pm

wish I could help but I cannot even imagine trying to build 3D objects in Motion. I'd stick with After Effects. That's just my personal preference, of course, but I know my limits of object construction in AE.

Your implied need for a higher level of simulation suggests you really to investigate a 3D modeler, not a goofball hack using the severely limited modeling capabilities of Motion.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

Conor Smith
on Aug 29, 2008 at 3:44:05 pm

My knowledge and ownership of 3D modeling software is limited and non-existent respectively. I would love to be using AE but my company hasn't yet sprung for the program, I could do this at home on my Mac Pro but I think I don't have the time to take this job home with me. So I'm stuck with the company iMac with 2gb of mem with Motion 3. I have a feeling that it is a RAM issue so unless anyone can come up with a setting I may have incorrect the "should buy more stuff" approach is not an option.

This is my standard sigfile so don't take it personally "Answer the question presented, if you can't, don't bother"

Conor Smith

Return to posts index

Jim Johnson
on Aug 29, 2008 at 5:11:14 pm

Howdy,

Can you post some imagery of the "freaking out" you've described? If you're seeing textures get corrupted, it sounds like your graphics card may be getting overwhelmed. If adding a light makes it works, that makes it even more likely that it's the GPU. What GPU is in the iMac?

Return to posts index

Conor Smith
on Aug 29, 2008 at 5:48:54 pm

Hey Thanks for your response

I was doing some more research on this issue and you are completely correct. My video card is amazingly underpowered for what I am trying to make it do. I found that when I quit motion and restarted the computer the newly reopened project had no corruption or as I called it "Freaking out (for lack of a better term at the time).

I wish I had been here when the company bought their computer because I would have made them buy a Mac Pro, just for the fact that you can easily upgrade the computer as needed. I tend to be more graphics heavy so the little iMac is burning up most of the time.

The Graphics card installed is a ATI,RadeonHD2400, not a bad card but it doesn't have the memory I need. Can you upgrade these on a iMac?

Again thanks for your response.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Sep 2, 2008 at 2:54:19 pm

Ah, you had not mentioned the card or the iMac earlier. this is simply asking too much, I think, of your equipment.
After Effects handles 3D similarly but caches and renders completely differently.

There are simply some things you cannot do with an iMac, including upgrading the graphics card. However, I've heard of lots of hacks for iMacs. You won't find any advice for changing the card on apple.com but I have heard there are numerous other iMac forums especially among kids who have tweaked their little iMac's gaming capabilities.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

Conor Smith
on Sep 2, 2008 at 3:05:10 pm

Thanks for the info. I don't get why they bought this system. Yes, It's a nice computer for civilians but as a work horse forget it. So I finally got it to render these out flawlessly, it takes a lot of patience, but it is done. I am trying to talk to them about upgrading their computer but.... we will see. What would be a good 3D rendering software for me to start out on? Is there one that is easy to understand yet able to create things that would impress?

Thanks again.
cheers
Conor

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Sep 3, 2008 at 3:05:04 pm

[Conor Smith] "What would be a good 3D rendering software for me to start out on? Is there one that is easy to understand yet able to create things that would impress? "

Look up Blender http://www.blender.org/
there's a version for Mac OS10.

It's free, open source, cool, fun and supports huge user community of whacky folks.

WARNING: 3D is a cubic affair, 2D to the third power: eight times as difficult to work with, eight times as long to render, 64 times as hard to make changes.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]