FORUMS: list search recent posts

3d video screens and a sense of space...

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Armstrong
3d video screens and a sense of space...
on Aug 26, 2008 at 7:21:39 pm

Ok, I'm working on a film opening as a project and my vision is greater than my knowledge.

I want to have several video "screens" (likely masked to rough up the edges) placed in virtual space with the camera moving from one screen to another to show pertinent information.

I also want to create a sense of space and moving through it rather than having the feeling of the "screens" moving around in front of a static camera, but I can't put my finger on how that is accomplished.

I really need to show my producers the idea and can't find any good examples of it.

I'm also not sure if there's a work flow that allows me to adjust in and out points of the target videos in FCP while working in motion to time the footage correctly with the cameras arrival in front of the intended screen (hopefully at an angle to show other, distant screens.

Anyway, I know there's a fine line between cool and cheesy and I won't use this if it's going to come of as third-rate.

Can anyone give me some pointers on any of those questions, point me to tutorials and maybe even point me to videos of others doing something like this?

Thanks so much guys!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: 3d video screens and a sense of space...
on Aug 26, 2008 at 11:21:46 pm

Jason [I really need to show my producers the idea and can't find any good examples of it.]

Here is a sample Matthew Blythe found for a different post a while back.

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/communications-technology/telecom/5...

Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: 3d video screens and a sense of space...
on Aug 28, 2008 at 3:39:49 pm

The real trouble with spatial simulations in Motion (as compared to After Effects) is Motion's inability to display true shadows. No matter how well you design your camera movements, you will never achieve more than an illusion of space. In After Effects, the illusion is far more compelling. But, of course, the shadows require huge rendering times.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]