FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animating text phrases; more than one line

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Raley
Animating text phrases; more than one line
on Aug 15, 2008 at 10:46:18 pm

I read the posts on text sequences, and I have tried to analyze the template files, but I seem to "not get it." Long time FCP editor, first time Motion.

I have a page of text with four phrases. The phrases need to build until completion. How do I create layers of text (in phrases) starting in the middle of a line (after the previous phrase) and continuing to the next line?

Thank you for reading and any help. Ray

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Animating text phrases; more than one line
on Aug 15, 2008 at 11:37:01 pm

Let me see if I have this right. You have four lines of text. You want the first line to fade in, once the first line is half way faded in you want the 2nd line to fade in. If what I wrote is what you want to do then type a line of text on it's own layer. Position them in the time line so they start where you want them and ad a Fade in/ Fade out behavior. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Ray Raley
on Aug 16, 2008 at 12:28:13 am

I was unclear in my description. The first phrase fills line one, continues to the middle of line two and ends in a comma. That is the first "reveal" (fade in words). The second phrase starts where the previous comma ended and is "revealed" with the first phrase intact with no effect. "How do I layer a line and a half" may be more appropriate. It seems I can only create rectangles of text.

I appreciate your time and response. Ray

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 18, 2008 at 3:02:01 pm

Sorry, guess I'm a little slow. I created a text animation, is this what you're asking about.

http://www.lonepeakproductions.com/clients/index.php?client=text

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

Ray Raley
on Aug 19, 2008 at 11:29:41 am

That is EXACTLY the idea. Thank you for taking the time to do that. Could you share with me the process or email me the Motion project file so I can reverse engineer?

Ray

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 19, 2008 at 3:10:34 pm

Very, cool. Type your paragraph in Motion. Select the group that defaulted with the text. Create a mask around the first part of the paragraph you want. I used the Bezier Mask Tool. Add a Fade in/Fade out behavior. Duplicate the group. (Command and D keys) Select the mask layer in the other group and open the Mask tab in the inspector. Check the Invert Mask check box so the other part of the paragraph is visible. Move it down the time line so it dissolve in later in the animation and that should do it. If you would still like the project file let me know. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Aug 19, 2008 at 4:45:48 pm

Way beyond the expected level of delivery around here, Stephen. You set a very high bar for all of us.
Nicely done.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 19, 2008 at 7:12:32 pm

Bogiesan, thanks for the compliment, it made my day.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

Ray Raley
on Aug 20, 2008 at 2:16:13 am

Thank you Stephen, way above the call. I agreed to a pro bono edit for a non-profit organization and needed to quickly learn Motion for this effect. Did not know it was coming. You have my profound thanks. Maybe one day I can return the favor. I realize the Cow gets a lot of the same basic questions, and it can be a pain to read and respond to them. I'll buy you Starbucks at the next NAB.

Ray

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]