FORUMS: list search recent posts

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy freeze effect?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alec Jankowski
Queer Eye for the Straight Guy freeze effect?
on Jul 28, 2008 at 9:42:18 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me duplicate the "freeze" effect in the intro of Queer Eye season 1. Basically what happens is the shot freezes, the person (Carson, Ted, etc.) is cut out, and everything behind them is replaced with a color while text on screen has names. It seems like a pretty easy effect, does anyone have any ideas?

Alec

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Queer Eye for the Straight Guy freeze effect?
on Jul 28, 2008 at 10:51:27 pm

Easiest way to do that is in Photoshop. You just send the last frame to Photoshop and cut the person out, replacing the backdrop. I do this all the time for a lot of corporate type of work.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 29, 2008 at 3:06:06 pm

This tutorial is for Final Cut and not motion but the idea will really help show you how to do the Queer Eye Effect

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Producitons

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Jul 30, 2008 at 6:38:32 am

Just finished this in motion on a project I'm currently working on,, and it couldnt be simpler and easier.

I've used AE and Photoshop for this before,, and find doing this with motion gives you greater flexibility with the end result.. for me anyway..

There are 2 ways to prep this:
1. In FCP find the clip you want to use, on the frame you want to freeze on go "Modify->Make Freeze Frame. edit the freeze frame into the timeline (so the video plays then freezes on the Freeze frame. Mark the clip and freeze frame (in and out around the moving clip and the freeze) and export a self contained quicktime reference movie. Open Motion and bring in the newly created clip.
(I still dont fully trust the "send to", but you could to that instead of exporting)

2. Don't create a freeze in FCP and bring the original clip into motion and keyframe time to get your freeze.

Then,

Duplicate your clip and trim the in point of the upper layer to the first frame of the freeze. Now you need to draw a mask around the person. Use the mask tool on the right (with the bezier handle.) When you add a point, don't just click, click and and drag to add nice curves. This may take you a while if you haven't done it before, but once you get used to the tool and learn the curves you will notice you use fewer and fewer points around your subject.

Once you've finished the mask, add a colour solid/gradient/generator/replicator/whatever below this clip, or manipulate the lower clip as you like (I like adding a 3rd party glow effect and blur.)

The main reason i prefer doing this in motion is that you have great control over effects and motion of the clip. Smoother movement and such.

Colin McQuillan
Van. B.C.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jul 31, 2008 at 6:06:42 pm

That's a good technique. You could do the whole thing in Motion: create the freeze using the Hold Frame retiming behavior, trimmed to the duration of the freeze frame. Duplicate the layer, mask the top layer with the b-spline or bezier mask tool, add filters, etc.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Editor/Producer
Apple-certified instructor, FCP, DVDSP and Motion
Author, Motion Visual Quickstart Guide from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Aug 1, 2008 at 12:32:18 am

Yeah! I had a roll of about 10 of these I had to create for a series I'm working on.

Started with the FCP freeze frame export.. then about 3 builds in I accidently sent only the moving clip,, Before heading back to FCP, I thought about it for a second and a light went off,, "why not freeze the frame in motion!?" Built the rest in Motion with greater ease.
Didn't use the behavior though, but sounds like a great idea! I went into the keyframe editor and added a point where I wanted the freeze start, then added another 10 seconds down the timeline and set to the same frame.

Motion does such a nice job of naturally changing parameters and blending from layer to layer. With the bezier curves I rarely ever need a feather on the mask either to get a good smooth cut out.

Do it all in one App with greater flexibility and effect control!

Colin McQuillan
Van. B.C.

Return to posts index

Patricia Stitson
on Oct 2, 2008 at 5:41:10 am

Can you elaborate on that suggestion?

I don't quite get it.

Patty

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]