FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera 3D and title always seen

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clara Gordon
Camera 3D and title always seen
on Jul 16, 2008 at 3:40:32 pm

Hi, I have a little problem and don’t know why.

I have a title, and beyond, a pill. But when I move around it with the 3D camera, seeing from back, I continue seeing the title, like as if the pill was transparent just in the letters. I’d like that the letters couldn’t bee seen when the camera is just behind the pill… I’ve tried the same with a shape, and it works as I want: I don’t see the shape when the camera is at back. It’s as if the title had a special property. Does somebody know why is it? What am I doing wrong? And how can I make it right? Thanks a lot!

Judy

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Camera 3D and title always seen
on Jul 16, 2008 at 4:59:26 pm

Can you please post a still or a youtube video of that- I'm having a really hard time picturing what the problem is. And what sort of pill are we talking about?

Naoh

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jim Johnson
on Jul 17, 2008 at 4:44:05 am

Howdy,

Without seeing your project layout in the Layers List, I can only guess, but it sounds like a police-taping (rasterizing) problem. Basically, when doing 3D compositing, something can force the application to have to render objects separately and comp them together in layer order, rather than 3D depth order. This happens in all 3D compositors (Motion, AE, Shake, Nuke, etc).

It sounds like your text object or one of its parent groups has gotten rasterized (also called "police-taped"), which means that the rasterized object and its children will be comped into the scene in the order you see in the Layers List, regardless of 3D position. So even if your pill image is in between the camera and the text, in terms of position, the text will always have to be comped on top or behind, depending on the ordering in the Layers List.

Does the text object have a small box around it like this:

That box indicates that the text has been rasterized. The same result would happen if the text object's parent group was rasterized (though it would be the group's icon with the little box around it). If you do a search on "rasterize" in the manual (or the 3D supplemental docs) you will find a list of conditions that can force rasterizing.

It may not be any consolation, but this is the trickiest concept that exists in 3D compositing. You wrap your head around this and everything else is small potatoes :)

Return to posts index

Clara Gordon
on Jul 21, 2008 at 8:14:16 am

Thanks a lot! I think you understood my problem, and I think I've understood what you say about the Layers List order. I've tried and it's that. But then... what I'm trying to do is impossible? I don't think so, I guess it's a very basic thing... When I put the text layer up, it's always seen, but when the pill layer is upper, I never see the text :( Are there any way of taking off the "rasterizing"?
Thanks again!!

Return to posts index

Jim Johnson
on Jul 21, 2008 at 2:00:20 pm

Howdy,

It all depends on what's causing your text object (or one of its parents) to get rasterized. There are workarounds, in some cases.

Just groping, here, but do you have the Opacity property of your text turned down, or maybe a filter applied? Or maybe you've selected a specific blend mode for the text or its parent?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]