FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make text look more like a film optical?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
How to make text look more like a film optical?
on Jul 9, 2008 at 6:33:44 pm

I make a lot of movie promos for broadcast, and so I do a lot of keying of text and other graphics over movie footage. Something I've never been entirely happy with, though, is the integration of that text and graphics; I want it to feel more organic, more like it's part of the original film rather than something added on top by me.

Essentially, I want to make my text look more like film opticals. Does anyone have any suggestions for achieving this?

I've tried the obvious stuff, like adding a slight blur to soften the hard edges and knocking the opacity back a bit, which helps, but it's still not quite right - it still looks more like slightly softened, partially-opaque text and graphics rather than something that feels organically part of the film.

I used to work with graphic designers who were able to achieve this, but were always a bit cagey as to how they actually did it. Now I have to do it on my own in Motion, so any help will be gratefully appreciated!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: How to make text look more like a film optical?
on Jul 9, 2008 at 8:23:00 pm

That's why folks get paid the big bucks! But yeah I'd work with a slight blur, turn motion blurring on and work with the opacity a bit.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Mike Amelang
on Jul 10, 2008 at 8:50:52 pm

Try adding film grain to the text. That may be one difference between the text and the film below it.

Mike

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Jul 11, 2008 at 6:44:11 am

I've tried film grain. It helps, but it's still not quite there.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Jul 11, 2008 at 4:28:32 pm

The only thing I can think of to add to the list is gate weave. You'd need to motion track something in your main comp. It will be a subtle illusion but what about film looks isn't?

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 11, 2008 at 5:05:57 pm

Also run it through Magic Bullet- but that's probably overkill. There's a difference between something looking subtle and the over the top faux scratchy film look.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]