FORUMS: list search recent posts

track points of a line separately

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Gerard
track points of a line separately
on May 29, 2008 at 7:42:26 pm

Trying to track one end of a line to a block of text, and the other end of the line to a product, while the product is rotating.

How do you track the 2 ends of the line independently?

Thanks!

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Jim Johnson
Re: track points of a line separately
on May 30, 2008 at 2:50:34 am

Howdy,

You would use the Track Points behavior. If you're doing image-analysis-type tracking of footage, each point on the shape can track a different feature in the footage. If you're trying to track (follow the movement of) animated objects, you're limited to tracking a single object. What you can do, however, is tell the behavior to affect only one point on the line so that that point follows the animated object. The other point will be unaffected and will stay static or can be keyframed.

An example movie can be found here. The project is here.

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 30, 2008 at 5:39:43 pm

Brilliant! This is exactly what I want to do, I DL'd the project going to open it up now and implement it into my won project, I'll post a movie when its done!

Thanks!

(Cow, how I love thee.....)

Matt

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 30, 2008 at 7:23:41 pm

Jim-

Ok, I can't get it to work. Maybe it doesn't work with text, but I've tried a couple of variations, but I can't get it to work. Here's the scene-

Still image of a product (think lawnmower) doesn't move.
Small text block, animated, goes from scale=100 to scale =80 and moves to the right about 50 pixels over about 15 seconds.

Line drawn from text block to "wheel" on mower. Need one end of the line to track with the text as it moves, but stay "stuck" on the wheel at the other end. Can I send you the project directly to have a look at it and see what I'm goofing up?

I see it working in the project that you so kindly posted, but I can't get it to work in my own. Not sure why. I read the supplement in the motion help on motion tracking but it doesn't do a reall bang up job explaining the process, or where it pulls the tracking data from.

Thanks!

Matt

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 30, 2008 at 7:39:00 pm

Boy, its amazing what you can figure out by pushing buttons.

Call off the hounds, I figgered it out! Not sure exactly how yet, but its working. This is a cool thing, might take a stab at making a tutorial for it. I'll still post a movie of it when i get the chance.

Thanks!

Matt

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 30, 2008 at 8:34:17 pm

[Jim Johnson] "What you can do, however, is tell the behavior to affect only one point on the line so that that point follows the animated object"

How exactly do you do this? How do you tell the behavior to track just the one point?

I have one bit working, but I'm not sure how I got it to work! Isn't that the ticket? ;-)

Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]