FORUMS: list search recent posts

importing 3d objects into Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aviv Vana
importing 3d objects into Motion
on Apr 24, 2008 at 6:41:24 pm

Can 3d objects made in a 3d program be brought into Motion3 and then used freely (rotate it all around or have the camera rotate around it)?
If so which 3d formats can Motion3 recognize?
Can 3d objects made in illustrator be imported into Motion 3?

I want to be able to import these items and be able to see all its "3Dness" when i rotate my camera or the object itself in Motion3.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
Re: importing 3d objects into Motion
on Apr 24, 2008 at 7:09:46 pm

[Aviv Vana] "Can 3d objects made in a 3d program be brought into Motion3 and then used freely (rotate it all around or have the camera rotate around it)?" Nope, at least not yet.

What you can do, however, is render your 3D animations with alpha channels and do the rest of your animation in Motion. Likewise, you can do multipass rendering (diffuse, specular, reflection, shadow, etc.) in your 3D app and then do multipass compositing in Motion (using blend modes and lights, etc.)...actually it's a pretty good marriage.

Return to posts index

Aviv Vana
on Apr 24, 2008 at 7:41:30 pm

Is this something that after effects can do? bring 3d objects into it's projects and use them?

All the great Motion Graphics i see is done by a marriage of AE/illustrator /photoshop and some 3D app like cinema 4D. are this Mographers bringin in the 3D objects in to AE?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 24, 2008 at 8:41:40 pm

I can't remember if a stock version of After Effect can import raw 3d models- don't think it can. But what it can do is accept 3d cameras from most 3d programs, or rather most 3d programs can export a 3d format that translates into AFX as a 3d camera.

Then you can bring in your 3d renders with alpha channels and finally add anything you want in AFX to track along with the 3D. Currently Motion doesn't allow for this but perhaps we'll see it down the road at some point.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Apr 24, 2008 at 9:25:59 pm

http://zaxwerks.com/invigorator_pro/index.shtml

Cinema4D and AE have a tight integration, I've heard. I haven't tried it yet, or know how/what/why it works. Isn't that helpful?!?!?

I just say that Cinema4D Also has a save option for Motion, I'checking out what it does right now. Will post later.

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 24, 2008 at 11:44:43 pm

"can't remember if a stock version of After Effect can import raw 3d models"

Nope - I believe only Fusion, Nuke, Inferno and Flame can import 3D geometry. AE (and others) are good for finishing and visual effects.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 25, 2008 at 6:19:46 pm

Well when I said stock AFX- I meant without plugins. There are several plugins that let you sort of manipulate 3D objects in AFX like Zaxwerks and Canoa. But probably not on the level of NUKE and the Autodesk stuff.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 25, 2008 at 10:38:51 pm

"Well when I said stock AFX- I meant without plugins."

Even with plugins, AE won't import 3D objects. You can create 3D geometry with those plugs... but none of them will import existing .obj files. :-(

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 6, 2008 at 3:07:16 pm

[Shawn Miller] "but none of them will import existing .obj files. :-( "

Actually Zaxworks will. We do it all the time, we get the .obj file from thier CAD team, then import them into zaxworks. Problem is that CAD people have a hard time understanding that we don't need 2.5 million polygons to make us a lawn mower blade... I've been messing with cinema 4d to see if I can simplify models for this purpose, as zaxworks slows way down with large obj files.

But it does work!

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]