FORUMS: list search recent posts

hel help help- rotating a particle emitter in "3d"

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Plamadeala
hel help help- rotating a particle emitter in "3d"
on Apr 16, 2008 at 9:31:15 pm

Hey guys.

I am in need of your world-renown knowledge.

I have applied the flame particle emitter from the library and added a camera (plus the objects that are already in the scene.

Now, i want to make the flame go upward, leaving behind a small comet-tail-like trail. now, i have the camera on a horizontal plane, and i animated the emitter so it goes upward. problem is, that it won't leave a trail. i checked every single parameter in the emitter and sub components, tried rotating it on every ax, but the trail is only left behind on a 2d plane.

What bothers me is that if i orbit the camera around the emitter, the trail is visible and seen from every angle i put the camera in, with the normal perspective changes.

now how can i achieve the same effect but without rotating the camera?? its important that i do not rotate the camera, because it is already animated and affects the whole scene...

Thank you,
Sebastian Plamadeala

Return to posts index

Sebastian Plamadeala
Re: hel help help- rotating a particle emitter in "3d"
on Apr 17, 2008 at 7:21:18 am

I discovered that i can play around with the gravity behavior on the sub-components of the flame, but if i turn the group and emitter in 3d, then i have the same problem. that "face camera" parameter is the center problem i think, but if i turn that off, it ruins the effect.

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
on Apr 17, 2008 at 3:08:11 pm

Not totally sure of the final effect you're trying to achieve but you're right, the only way to get a 3D orbit around of a particle emitter in Motion is by using a camera orbit and having the "face camera" option selected. Pretty much this is because of the way Motion creates the effect. As has been said many times before it is really a 2.5D app and of course really all the particle cells are still 2D and Motion cheats a volumetric effect (pretty well actually).

You could create a second camera in your scene and do a separate orbit and render of your fire emitter (with other layers temporarily turned off)which you could export (using the Animation codec) and reimport as a movie file with an embedded alpha channel that you could composite back in (it would sort of be the reverse of a motion control/matchmove operation!).

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
on Apr 17, 2008 at 5:51:22 pm

Also as a follow-up, remember that you can also switch between Local Axis, World Axis, and View Axis in the particle emitter's HUD (which allows you to change the way the 3D transform tools act on the objects).

Return to posts index

Sebastian Plamadeala
on Apr 19, 2008 at 12:52:06 am

thank you for your response and thoughts.

I was hoping there was another way to do it, without doing it separately, because i needed to see how perspective changes affect the other objects in the scene.

Thank you for your response,
Sebastian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]