FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone else having problems with imported clips?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Behrens
Anyone else having problems with imported clips?
on Apr 14, 2008 at 1:54:01 pm

I didn't have time to look through all the posts, so forgive me if there's already an answer to this. Lately when I import clips into Motion, I don't get the whole clip... like I'll import a 30 second clip and get cut off at 28 seconds. The clip plays fine in QT and in the preview and viewer in Motion, but the timeline doesn't see the whole clip. And you can't pull the in/out points out either. The end of the clip is just missing on the Motion timeline.
I also imported a 2 second clip and got a 10 second still. What on earth?
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or knows what the heck is going on.
...not my favorite program in the world, this Motion.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Anyone else having problems with imported clips?
on May 1, 2008 at 10:30:18 pm

Yes, I had a very similar problem. When I captured screen shots in a program it made the video clips weird frame rates. In Quicktime it looked great. When I brought it into motion it adjusted the length of the clip so it matched the frame rate. If the frame rate was 15fps it cut the clips length in half. Make sure the clips frame rate matches the project settings. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Mike Konstan
on Jun 9, 2008 at 9:27:51 pm

Had a similar problem... bringing in computer screenshots captured as moving video (via Ambrosia's Snapz Pro X). Snapz saved the files out in the Animation codec with odd frame rates (11 fps) in my case. Each time I brought them into Motion (in a 720x480 SD project), they looked great but the length of the Quicktime movie file was usually half of what it should have been. (Snapz was also automatically adding an unnecessary alpha channel to the files when it saved as Animation, which was causing some problems with playback).

I fiddled with a variety of the Quicktime compression types and the only one I found that would retain close to the quality level of the original file was by using PhotoJPEG. The downside is that it takes about a 40 mb Animation file and inflates it to about five times as big-- in this case, up to 212mg! I also tried DV in hopes to keep the file sizes down but clarity of the image degrades considerably.

Here are the Quicktime movie export specs I used.

Compression type: PhotoJPEG
Frame rate: 29.97
Keyframes: All (Default)
Compressor Depth: Color
Compressor Quality: High
Dimensions: 720x480

If someone has a better way where I can retain the large size of the original frame grab, please share it....

Thanks!

-Mike

MAK Digital Media, Inc.

Video Post-Production Services

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 9, 2008 at 10:44:30 pm

Mike,
I had your same problem when I upgraded Snapz Pro. If you go back to Version 2.0.3 it will work perfectly in Motion.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Producitons

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]