FORUMS: list search recent posts

making text from particles

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Conan Stott
making text from particles
on Apr 10, 2008 at 8:28:23 am

Hi....

I have a small project on my hands and I have been asked to create an interesting title.

The opening shot is of a bikes (mountain bike) tyre skiding to a halt on gravel and flicking some stones toward the camera... I have been asked to make a title as if the stones have hit the camera in the form of the text.... it doesn't need to realistic, just cool.

I decided the best way to go about this is with particles but the thing is I can not get onto motion to practice this until a couple of weeks ( Mac is not well, its in the hospital right now) But I wonder how to go about this..

Any tips or techniques that could be suggested would be much appreciated, or if there are any tutorials that may be of use for this title please let me know :)

I really value the suggestions from people here on Creative Cow, if anyone would let me know how they would go about this I would much appreciate it.

I have asked this in after effects forum but I wonder if Motion will have an easier way?

Thanks

Regards

Conan

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
Re: making text from particles
on Apr 10, 2008 at 8:33:37 pm

There is a way and it involves some Julia Child-style baking and "The Sensational Reverse Brothers" from RED DWARF's "Backwards."

1) First, you'll need some "baked" (i.e. raster) text (your title) from Photoshop or a program like it and it needs to have an alpha channel
2) Then bring into Motion and put it in the Media Tab
3) Bring your "rock" object(s) into the project and add a Replicator to it
5) Change Replicator shape type to image (leave on Tile Fill)
5) Make sure text is straight alpha type (or change it in Inspector) and drag text into Image Source well of Replicator
6) Increase Columns and Rows and play around with Scale parameter
7) Add behaviors like Repel, Random Motion, Wind, etc. to the Replicator
a)check Affect Subobjects for Wind
b)check Affect Subobjects for Random Motion
c)Set Repel's Affect parameter to "specific objects" and put Relpicator in the list well
8) This will create a title composed out of "rocks" that will disperse
9) This is where you use a good ol' fashioned reverse gag: then export project to a movie (i.e. more baking), make another project and import your movie into it, then Add Behavior>Retiming>Reverse

Return to posts index

Conan Stott
Re: making text from particles
on Apr 11, 2008 at 7:53:42 am

Thank you so much Burt. I will get onto this and it sounds great :)

Thank you again :)

Regards

Conan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]