FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange problem in Motion?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Travis
Strange problem in Motion?
on Apr 1, 2008 at 5:17:57 pm

Hello all,

this is my first post on creative cow, but I did do a search and found nothing referring to this problem.

I am working on a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo iMac with 4Gb of RAM

So, I am trying to make a DVD menu screen, using footage sent from FCP with some simple text fading in.

The footage is DVCPRO 1080i50. When I play the footage back in Motion, playback is incredibly slow, 3fps or so. So I render the footage, setting my in and out points then pressing command-R. The rendering dialogue window opens, and everything appears to be chugging along as usual. However, once the render appears to be done, I look at the timeline and there are still sections that have not been rendered. I make new in and out point around the unrendered section and repeat the process. Once that is done, I see more, unrendered sections, seemingly randomly dotted around the timeline.

Now, the really scary part is that when I try to export the footage, the playback is still really slow in Quicktime, worse than in Motion in fact.

As a test, I tried saving the project and seeing what effect it had on the clip in FCP and, after a quick render, the playback is fine.

I have tried again, but this time dragging the file into Motion from Finder and I still have this playback/rendering problem.

Has anyone heard of this before? Am I really going to have to keep going back and forth between Motion and FCP in order to see real-time previews of my sequence?

Thank you for your time, I really hope someone will come along and prove me to be an absolute arse by pointing out a simple factor I am overlooking.

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
Re: Strange problem in Motion?
on Apr 1, 2008 at 9:38:50 pm

Well several things.

I think we've all experienced sluggish performance with Motion, basically it requires a really hyped-up graphics card to run properly. I literally get the same performance running Motion 2 on a G4 Powerbook and Motion 3 on a Quad G5 (both with Tiger). :)

The spotty rendering in Motion sounds like a RAM issue; you might check out your RAM sticks.

The other issue may be that you are exporting movies in the Animation codec; at its highest setting it's essentially uncompressed/lossless. So when you render it in FCP, you're probably compressing it to a much more manageable codec.

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
Re: Strange problem in Motion?
on Apr 2, 2008 at 11:54:53 am

Hey Bert,

Thanks a lot for your reply. You were right about the Animation codec. I changed the export setting to DVCPRO 1080i50 and the exported file plays just fine in Quicktime.

The spotty rendering is still a problem, but I think that generally rendering the whole project is a bad practice to get into. From now on I'll just render the small section I NEED to preview. When I do that, it seems able to render that section with no trouble.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. If you want a free copy of "How To Keep Chickens" or "How To Spey Cast With Mike Daunt" you need only ask.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]