FORUMS: list search recent posts

Feathering elements in my composition

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Conan Stott
Feathering elements in my composition
on Apr 1, 2008 at 11:21:56 am

Hi. Iv'e a question about motion. In my composition I can not for the life of me work out how to feather the borders of certain elements.... I add a smoke element to it, its background is transparent which is fine, but I want to scale it down so that is over just a small part of the composition. I do this and I ofcourse get a hard edge to the box that contains the smoke. I can not find anyway to feather this... even if a add a border I can manipulate it but still can not feather it. the blend modes are great but none will get rid of the hard edge to the smoke objects box.

Please help me with this as it seems a simple thing but right now it is frustrating :)

Thank you

Regards

Conan

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
Re: Feathering elements in my composition
on Apr 1, 2008 at 11:57:39 am

Is it smoke footage? If it is, then add a rectangular mask to it and adjust the feather parameter.

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Apr 1, 2008 at 4:08:29 pm

I tried to get a smoke particle effect to do what you say its doing, and I can't even get it to make a hard edge no matter what I scale it to. It sounds like you are using a piece of FOOTAGE and scaling that down, which then the other poster's sugesstion of the feathered mask is the way to go. Can you confirm what you are trying to scale down, is it a piece of footage with a fixed resolution and size, or a particle generator?

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Conan Stott
on Apr 2, 2008 at 12:10:47 pm

Hmm, yes it was infact footage, thank you :) But on the topic of the particle emitters.... is there a way to affect the gravity of something on the smoke??? I need it to be emmitted horizontally across the screen but it just wants to float upwards?

and one more thing? Those pesky boxes are at it again this time in regards to text boxes..... I have a text box with a number 2 written as the text inside it, the effect on this text makes it flicker about a bit but when it flickers too far, it gets cut off by the text box which has resized itself to wrap neatly around my text, this makes the hard edge to the text box obvious. Is there a way to make the text box larger but leave the text the same size?

Thank you

Conan

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Apr 2, 2008 at 1:13:14 pm

[Conan Stott] " I need it to be emmitted horizontally across the screen but it just wants to float upwards? "

Select the emitter in the timeline, activate the HUD (option-apple-L) and grab the arrow and drag it to the direction you want it to flow. I tried it with a bunch of smoke emitters, and they all behaved properly, flowing in the direction I wanted them to. If its still not working, twirl down the reveal arrows on the emitter, and see if it has a gravity behavior attached to it that might be affecting it.

[Conan Stott] "and one more thing? Those pesky boxes are at it again this time in regards to text boxes..... I have a text box with a number 2 written as the text inside it, the effect on this text makes it flicker about a bit but when it flickers too far, it gets cut off by the text box which has resized itself to wrap neatly around my text, this makes the hard edge to the text box obvious. Is there a way to make the text box larger but leave the text the same size? "

Okay, lets clear up a little nomenclature- Text Box- you can't change the size of a text box in Motion, Motion itself regulates the size of the box, and in fact its, not really a "box" so to speak, motion is showing you the boundaries of the text, to the extent that if you apply a blur, the "text box" will expand to show you how far the blur is extending beyond the original size of the text. That being said, no you can't resize the text box directly.

Now, I have a funny feeling that you have created a box for the text to live in. Is this correct? If so, then you are dealing with something different, if not, lets move on.

Flicker- By default the flicker effect (Behaviors- text fade - flicker on, if this is the behavior you are using), doesn't change the size of the text, so there should not be anything getting cut off by the flicker behavior.

So, to go further, if you want to send me your project file, I can take a look at it and see what you all have going on. But these questions should help us help you out.

Good luck.

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]