FORUMS: list search recent posts

Globe you can spin and zoom in on in motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Kavanagh
Globe you can spin and zoom in on in motion
on Mar 3, 2008 at 3:12:16 pm

I am trying to figure out how to do an effect in motion where I could have a 3d spinning globe spin and then allow me to zoom in on it without pixelating. Is there a 3d graphic of a globe that you can buy and then import into motion to that effect? Is this something that is impossible in motion and the only way to accomplish it is in after effects? Anyone have any insight on the matter?

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
Re: Globe you can spin and zoom in on in motion
on Mar 3, 2008 at 3:24:16 pm

Ryan,

How far do you want to 'zoom in'?

Motion is constained by the texture limit of your graphics card which these days can be anywhere from 2000 pixels to 8000 pixels square.

So, wrapping an 8K by 8K map of the world with the sphere filter will give you the best resolution to work with if your card is up to it.

Peter

Return to posts index

Ryan Kavanagh
on Mar 3, 2008 at 3:32:10 pm

I want to zoom in to specific countries. So I want to zoom in as much as I can. I'm working on a MacPro with eight 3.0 processors, 9gigs of ram, and a ATI Radeon X1900 XT graphics card. I have been having trouble finding a realistic map of the world that would work too. Any suggestions on where I can find a 8K by 8K map that I could use or at least license for a national broadcast?

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Mar 3, 2008 at 3:40:04 pm

NASA?

I don't know the rules but it is in the public domain.

Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Mar 3, 2008 at 3:49:31 pm

BTW there are some maps in the Motion content but I think they are fairly low res for what you want

Peter

Return to posts index

Ryan Kavanagh
on Mar 3, 2008 at 5:17:27 pm

I used the Sphere filter to create a globe but it isn't 3D (I did check the "3D group" option) When I rotate it is only 2 dimensions. I feel like I'm probably just forgetting to check a box somewhere or something.

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Mar 3, 2008 at 5:19:59 pm

It won't be in 3D, it will always (NAB update???) result a s a globe on a flat plane.
Alter the parameters of the sphere filter to rotate

Peter

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Mar 3, 2008 at 5:51:39 pm

Forget Motion for this. The best you can do is fake it which requires a stylistic re-evaluation.

If this effect and illusion are critical, you will need a 3d application and a really good animator.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Mar 3, 2008 at 6:24:58 pm

Nice and positive, well done

Peter

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Mar 4, 2008 at 3:29:48 pm

Wow. That's new for you, Peter. I'll be looking for sarcasm in your posts more often.

> > I am trying to figure out how to do an effect in motion where I could have a 3d spinning globe spin and then allow me to zoom in on it without pixelating.

The OP's effect cannot be achieved in Motion without compromising the desire for the complete illusion of 3d and, more than likely, requiring a transition someplace to allow the different resolutions of still images from NASA and Google to be incorporated without pixelating.

> Anyone have any insight on the matter?

I've been dealing with these infinite zoom-type questions for as long as you have. I stand by my earlier statement unless, of course, the user is willing to figure out how to do the effect you describe.

> Is there a 3d graphic of a globe that you can buy and then import into motion to that effect?

But I'll bet the OP ends up running out of time or patience since an 8k global map cannot support being magnified without transitioning to another source image.

> Is this something that is impossible in motion and the only way to accomplish it is in after effects?

The soft of choice used to be After Effects but the solutions always involve a realization that the effect cannot be seamless without serious work. That amount of work is inversely proportional to the level of experience of the operator and the resources available. Matching the revolution of the sphere to the camera movement and maintaining the illusion is tough. We usually need to bring in a bird, clouds, jet, sun flare, or UFO to hide the transition.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Mar 4, 2008 at 3:38:12 pm

[david bogie] "Wow. That's new for you, Peter. I'll be looking for sarcasm in your posts more often. "

No problem, more to come I'm sure.

Ryan said he wanted to end up on a country and that is do-able within Motion. Granted if you want to fill the screen with Monaco or The Vatican then you are not going to have enough resolution.

Peter

Return to posts index

Larry Asbell
on Mar 3, 2008 at 6:57:10 pm

Not the low/no cost solution you wanted but you should know that with Google Earth you can setup a move into any point on the globe and as you go in the detail actually improves. If you haven't seen it yet you've got to try it.

It's free to use but requires a $400/yr Pro license to record your move as an animation.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 4, 2008 at 2:06:42 am

Also you could look into Google Sketchup which is cheap, relatively easy to use and has a lot of back and forth with google maps. But yeah in Motion- not so much.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the HD Survival Guide!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

tallscot
on Mar 5, 2008 at 3:09:28 pm

I agree that you are going to want to use a 3D application for this.

I use Carrara because it's the most "Mac-like" and it's pretty inexpensive, but it does the things that I need done, like this:
http://www.swproductions.com/kla-tencor_singapore.html

Output with Animation codec with alpha and bring into Motion to composite...

Good luck

--------------------
Dual 2.5 Ghz G5
4.5 gig RAM
nVidia 6800
OS X 10.3.6

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]