FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help with water rippling effect

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lynette Gilbert
Help with water rippling effect
on Mar 1, 2008 at 3:51:18 pm

I am trying to do an "underwater" themed project in Motion. I am having a hard time figuring out how to make a water rippling effect, both for the background and for the text. Is there a plug-in I can get, or can I manipulate one of the basic behavior/particles?

I have tried doing the text in LiveType, but I still can't find quite the right animation.

What I am exactly trying to do is have rippling water out of which the text will fade in a kind of ripple.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Help with water rippling effect
on Mar 1, 2008 at 7:05:41 pm

Lynette, I don't mean to sound crass, but you need to learn how to look up basic information. It took me longer to type up what follows than it took me to find it.

Open up the Library tab in the Motion browser, type "ripple" in the search field, then click on "Filters", you should see 2 filters to choose from. Now click on "Particle Emiters", you should see an emiter.

Also, if you open up the manual & search for "ripple", you'll find one or 2 other options.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

Lynette Gilbert
on Mar 2, 2008 at 5:04:42 am

Thanks so much for your sarcasm. It has been noted.

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
on Mar 1, 2008 at 7:09:29 pm

Actually pretty easy to do in Motion, although for a really good effect you may need to use many layers.

Underwater effects tend to need several things, refraction, caustics, greenish/blusish colorations, an overall diffuse glow, blurred elements in the distance, and maybe even bubbles!

Actually refraction and "caustics" (the shimmering light patterns found on the bottom of swimming pools) are related to the way light refracts and focuses through a water medium.

For the refraction displacement effect you can use Filter>Distortion>Underwater (you also have "Ripple," "Refraction," etc. choices as well). I'd bring down the Refraction and Speed parameters in the Inspector.

You could use the Generator>Caustics preset and Stencil Luma it to your text. You could then add Blur/Bloom filters to objects in the distance, as well as a tinted plate(s) and particle emitter bubble streams in the foreground.

Good luck,
Burt Hazard
Munedawg Communications

Return to posts index

Lynette Gilbert
on Mar 2, 2008 at 5:11:06 am

Thank you, Burt, for your actual help.

I'm a videographer and editor, not an animator, so I've never used an animation program to any extent. I am trying to learn Motion in a relatively short amount of time and not have it end up looking like a total amateur created it. I do appreciate your positive feedback.

I will try your advice next week when I get back to work. Unfortunately, I don't have Motion at home so I can't experiment now.

Again, thanks for reaching out to an animation beginner and offering encouragement, not sarcasm.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]