FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion Master Template / Behaviour advice needed

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Brown
Motion Master Template / Behaviour advice needed
on Feb 27, 2008 at 10:19:30 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a 'name plate' master template in M3 for FCP6. The brand styling requires that we have the first name in bold and the second name in medium - the names change on each title board, so a template seems to be the way to go. But I'm having trouble:

If I set up a single controllable field in Motion, even if it's Boldname Mediumname, then in FCP it renders Mediumname Mediumname.
If I set up 2 fields then the typeface is good, but the names either overlap or are too far apart.

Do I need to apply a behaviour to the second name to force a fixed distance from the end of the first? Or is there a method I'm overlooking?

many thanks in advance for any ideas...

Peter

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Motion Master Template / Behaviour advice needed
on Feb 27, 2008 at 3:46:29 pm

Yar, we have a large folder of lower thirds using branded colors, brand typefaces, specific graphical elements. You must have two separate text elements. No matter how carefully you create the text masters, every one will require precision tweaking. Text objects in Motion behave strangely and unpredictably compared to apps like After Effects.

We have simplified these by pre-rendering most of the moving elements and most of the visual enhancements like highlight glints. The text animations require rendering on every application, of course.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

Peter Brown
on Feb 27, 2008 at 7:28:15 pm

Thanks David,

I'm actually thinking in terms of using the 'Add Master Template' function in Final Cut Pro, which brings in editable fields, like the text generators - I'm trying to avoid using lots of imported Motion docs, as if they were photoshop files, as it's not as efficient a workflow as the Template function.

I think my best way through is to add a parameter in Motion that forces the second name to be a certain number of pixels to the right of the first name - but I don't know which behavior that would be.

All 8 of the other editable fields render perfectly, without tweaking, as they don't have different formatting within a sentence.

cheers again
Peter

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 1, 2008 at 4:21:40 am

I think I get what you're trying to do...
Horizontally, you'd like text block 2 to be on the edge of text block 1.

I played for about 20 min on trying a combination of attractors + repellers to get it to sit.

And then I have idea B.
Text block 1 is Left aligned...and Text block 2 is Right aligned (on the right side of the screen.)

Sorry I couldn't come up with a better solution.

Best,

Jeff G
Principal Instructor
Future Media Concepts

FMCTraining.com
Editorsretreat.com

Return to posts index

Peter Brown
on Mar 1, 2008 at 8:00:35 am

Jeff,

That's exactly what I'm trying to do - I'll give the left/right aligning a try. I wish there was a behaviour that aligned to another object without travelling or gravity simulation - just a static align. Boring, but essential!

cheers for the idea
Peter

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Mar 3, 2008 at 5:49:37 pm

Yr, like I said, text is weird in Motion. There is not way to attach position parameters from one layer to another since the text object will be variable in size, even if the character alignment is static.

This is not easily done in After Effects but an expression could be created to do the job for you.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]