FORUMS: list search recent posts

Orbit ?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angelo Baizas
Orbit ?
on Feb 18, 2008 at 4:56:01 am

I was wondering if it was possible ( in motion 2 ) to have text orbit around a subject like in the opening sequence below:

http://www.bigpink.com

click on montage and it's the opening sequence where text is orbiting around the dancing lady.

thank you.

Angelo

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Orbit ?
on Feb 20, 2008 at 8:23:53 pm

In 2? I dont' think so. You need the 3d abilities of Motion 3.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

Angelo Baizas
on Feb 20, 2008 at 9:36:21 pm

I've checked out Motion 3 but couldn't find a suitable preset for it either...Any idea how to do it in Motion 3 ?

Thank you for all your help.

Angelo

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
on Feb 21, 2008 at 3:38:39 pm

[Angelo Baizas] "I've checked out Motion 3 but couldn't find a suitable preset for it either..."

Basically because there isn't any (yet, maybe Motion will have more actual 3D functionality in v. 3.5 or 4). One workaround would be to create a separate 3D text object for each letter in your text, rotate and position them accordingly in a y-axis circle, then group 'em in another 3D layer and animate the rotation of that (around a keyed or rotoed person, of course).

Zaxwerks does have a product called "Stackwerks" ($169) which apparently works in both Motion 2 & 3 which allows you to apply textures to 3D primitives which would probably allow you to achieve this effect with a cylinder or torus.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Feb 21, 2008 at 11:44:51 pm

> I've checked out Motion 3 but couldn't find a suitable preset for it either...Any idea how to do it in Motion 3 ?

Delete Motion 2, then.

Create a group. Each letter will be its own layer. position them in a circle. Create another group that will be your planet. Set this one to point at camera.

3D in Motion is not easy.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Feb 22, 2008 at 5:33:21 pm

I sorta got an obit-esq effect in Motion 2, but it was very simple. Basically, I wanted to create my own count down for a slate. I had nive video of a 3D earth (just video not an actual 3D object) and I wanted the time to "obit" around the earth.
• I animated the numeral "10" to simulate what the arch would look like going around the earth. Obviously, this would include a growing and shrinking of the size of the number as it "obits" the earth, and would move along a squashed oval type path.
• Once I got the desired effect (timed to move at 1 second) I duplicated the layer so that now I have two layers of the numeral 10 "orbiting."
• Well, it's sorta orbiting, because obviously there is no 3D space in Motion 2, so it was either just crossing over the earth or moving behind it. Not a mixture of both (over it when orbiting closest to us, and behind it when furthest away from us).
• So, the next step was to sandwich the two numeral 10s around the earth. Getting there, but no there yet.
• Now what you have to do is, without moving/deleting any of the keyframes, chop out the "behind" movement on the top layer, and chop out the "in front" movement of the bottom layer. This should give you the fake orbiting behavior you're looking for.
• Then I repeated with all the next numbers up to 2 so that I had my countdown.
Obviously there are limitations (the numerals can't rotate the way your example gave, so there's still a kinda flat feeling to the animation) but it can be "sorta" done. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Then again, I guess using Motion 3 is the way to go....

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Feb 25, 2008 at 3:14:46 pm

That's sort of how we used to do fake 3d stuff in After Effects, thanks for contributing the recipe.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]