FORUMS: list search recent posts

Comeplete idiot question: how to speed up the snow blizzard preset

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry Bromley-Davenport
Comeplete idiot question: how to speed up the snow blizzard preset
on Feb 13, 2008 at 12:47:50 am

I need to overlay some snow over an existing shot done on exterior location with snow machines.

I've found the "blizzard" setup in motion and, since I really don't know motion at all, I want to ask if someone out there can help me simply to how to speed it up, so that the snow falls/moves faster.

Many thanks if you can and will help,

Best wishes,

An idiot,

Harry

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Comeplete idiot question: how to speed up the snow blizzard preset
on Feb 13, 2008 at 4:56:57 pm

Reading the manual would be a great idea here- there's only a few pages you'd need to look at regarding particle emitter properties to help you understand the parameters to adjust for effects.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the HD Survival Guide!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
on Feb 13, 2008 at 6:01:04 pm

ok. So I should look up "particle emitter properties"?

Thanks very much. I'll give it a shot. You appreciate that this is pretty much a one off deal and that I really don't need to know "Motion".

Your help appreciated.

Harry

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Feb 14, 2008 at 3:48:35 pm

> ince I really don't know motion at all, I want to ask if someone out there can help me simply to how to speed it up, so that the snow falls/moves faster.

RTFM is always a good place to start, even for Noah's usually calm voice, but you've dived into a super complex application and want a quick answer. My answer would be to render the movie, take it into FCP, which apparently you DO understand how to use, and speed up the movie. Or drop by ArtBeats and buy some snow footage for download. Even if it costs you $400, it will save you a huge amount of time and money trying to figure out Motion, which I've been struggling to learn for four years.

If you twirl open some of the settings and parameters on the blizzard system, you will easily see why it's so difficult to tell you much of anything that can help you. Those dozens of adjustments are highly interactive and only you can tell if you are getting the results you want.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
on Feb 14, 2008 at 7:12:45 pm

Thanks very much for the reply.

I do intend to have our CGI guy do this properly eventually and this was just for a temporary fix for viewing purposes.

Anyway, I'll fiddle around a bit and see what I can do. Maybe I'll import the existing "slow" blizzard into FCP and speed it up there.

Sorry to be a bore and thanks to one and all for the assistance.

best

Harry

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Feb 14, 2008 at 4:52:38 pm

[Harry Bromley-Davenport] " You appreciate that this is pretty much a one off deal and that I really don't need to know "Motion". "

You may want to hire someone to do it for you, then.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
on Feb 14, 2008 at 7:13:53 pm

Thanks for the help.

Sorry to be a nuisance and appreciate your advice.

Harry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]