FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to randomize video clips used as particles

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Findlay
How to randomize video clips used as particles
on Jan 26, 2008 at 6:32:15 am

Hi All,
I'm still learning motion, so I am guessing that this is pretty easy.. My problem is that I have a video clip from green screen of an object turning in air. When I turn it into a particle, all is well except that every clip starts at the same time even though I can randomize everything else, I don't know how to do this.

So.. How can I tell it to randomly start each element of the particle from a different place in the video clip?

Thanks!!!!

Brian

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: How to randomize video clips used as particles
on Jan 27, 2008 at 12:08:27 am

Found this in the manual, page 733

Additional Cell Parameters for QuickTime Movies
If you create a particle system using a QuickTime movie as a cell, additional parameters
appear. These five parameters are:
Play Frames: This checkbox controls playback. If it’s turned on, it loops the playback of
the animation or movie clip used to generate each particle. If it’s turned off, particles
are generated using the still frame specified by either the Random Start Frame
parameter or the Source Start Frame parameter.
Random Start Frame: This checkbox introduces variation into animated particles
generated from QuickTime objects. If it’s turned on, each newly generated particle
begins at a different frame of the animation. Stills are chosen randomly if Play Frames is
turned off.
Source Start Frame: Chooses the frame to begin animation, if Play Frames is turned on,
or the still frame to display if Play Frames is turned off. This parameter only appears if
Random Start Frame is turned off.
Hold Frames: The number of times each frame of the source movie is repeated during
playback. The larger the Hold Frames value, the slower your playback.
Hold Frames Randomness: Varies the number of frames to “hold.” See the Hold Frames
parameter description.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

Brian Findlay
Re: How to randomize video clips used as particles
on Jan 27, 2008 at 1:13:56 am

Thank you Bogie-san!

This explains alot, I exported Raw HDV 1080i60 for the video clip.. (shot in 1080F30).. thinking that the more times you convert the more garbage you create. It didn't ever occur to me that using the quicktime format may actually give you more possibilities. I did go in and look for those fields with the 1080i60 clip and (Shazam!) they ain't there..

Having said that.. I am really impressed with Motion. I've been using FCP for about 2 version and I figured that there wasn't that much useful I (personally) could find in compositing, but this is a really cool package.

I would strongly recommend buying the DMTS package (I had the old one.. only has Motion 1 & 2).. but it gets you up to speed very fast, at least gets you up to a place where you can really start experimenting on a not completely an idiot level. You can often find them used on ebay.. but well worth the money even if you pay full retail.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Any time.
on Jan 27, 2008 at 6:16:16 pm

My pleasure, Brian, thank you for the kind words.
Stick with it, you'll love Motion, you'll hate Motion. I prefer After Effects for 90% of my animation and motion graphics.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]