FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slot Machine Effect

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chrismartin.tv
Slot Machine Effect
on Jan 16, 2008 at 2:43:38 pm

I've been looking up and down for a tutorial or a "how to" that covers creating a slot machine effect in Apple Motion. I've come across plenty for After Effects, but have had zero lucky for Motion.

I would like it to have a 3D curved effect instead of a flat look.

Any ideas, pointers, how tos, or tidbits of useful information are greatly appreciated in advance.

Thanks

Chris Martin

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Slot Machine Effect
on Jan 16, 2008 at 5:45:59 pm

Curves would be a little tricky as you're limited to flat planes in Motion 3d. But it could probably be faked if you have a nice slot machine image to start with. But for full 3D I suggest Google Sketchup or Cinema4D or even Maya.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the HD Survival Guide!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

chrismartin.tv
on Jan 16, 2008 at 5:58:05 pm

I'm on a time crunch, and I don't have access to any of those applications. I've downloaded the AE 30 day trial but don't know enough about it to get the rest of my project built in time. It's possible to do the type of 3d I'm looking for in Motion, or I'm completely missing something when I look at this video.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/kpqou6y6gt.mov

At 7:27 you'll see what I'm talking about. Any thoughts on that.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Jan 16, 2008 at 11:15:44 pm

Couldn't see anything at that point that looked like slot machine but I'm an impatient guy.
What do you need to appear on the slot reels? There's a fabulous LiveFont that you might be able to use.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

chrismartin.tv
on Jan 16, 2008 at 11:31:01 pm

The effect specifically was not that of a slot machine but gives the round rotating effect that I need.

I have a specific font that I have to use based on a graphic our internal guy has made and we have already started printing on EVERYTHING involved with this project.

I have six words that need to appear to roll three dimensionally as if they were printed on a cylinder in list form like that of a slot machine or an odometer in a car. The desired finished effect would appear to have the cylinder stop on a random word out of the 6 without repeating. I can handle the "randomizing" and timing, but just need to figure out how to make it look like I have an invisible cylinder with these words printed on it rotating. I hope this makes sense as I'm not the best at getting this into words.

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Jan 16, 2008 at 11:48:32 pm

Quite easy to get most of the way there:-

Draw a thin white rectangle from the top of the screen to the bottom

Type on in black vertically 1 to 10 or whatever numbers/letters you need

enclose these two layers in a group

Apply the sphere distortion filter.

all works, but the 'drum' does move with the spin on the filter - maybe hand animate

also another trick would be to copy what the iphone does and it fakes the curl/perspective with a shadow. look at the diary and alarm/clock drums

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]