FORUMS: list search recent posts

DvGarage-ing perfectly

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Smith
DvGarage-ing perfectly
on Jan 14, 2008 at 3:16:07 am

First Detail:
Naturally who doesn't want a perfect crome key? I'm working on exactly that using this DvGarage MatteBlast plug-in, and I'm running into difficutly on the edges.
It seems I'm stuck between either a white edge outside of the "edges" of the object, or by adjusting the "black inpoint" I end up with a fine black edge around the object making the object looks as if I obviously cut them out and stuck them into the new background.
I understand that I shouldn't even have to raise any "black inpoint", but I have a really rough time getting rid of the glow around certain points of the object (face mostly), or the find black edge around object (arms mostly).

Second Detail:
If I were to add a filter within Final Cut to the Motion clip on the timeline, and export with the alpha channel, it seems to drop the alpha channel. Is that just the way it is and I have to deal with fine tuning another way?

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Gary Alan
Re: DvGarage-ing perfectly
on Jan 14, 2008 at 4:10:47 am

When you can't get those tweaks perfect, go back up top and re tweak the hi and lo color parameters. It's a tedious process of back and forth between all the parameters, but I have been able to improve my keys with a lot of experimenting. Or, you may have to do better with the original cam shoot and greenscreen/lighting.

I do 80 percent of our stuff in a green screen studio using good lights and the new Sony EX cam at 1080p30 HQ VBR and I am getting pretty good results off the SxS memory card.

Gary

Mac Pro 3Ghz Intel Dual Duo, 6GB RAM, 30" ACD
MacBook Pro 17"
Sony XDCAM EX with a Sachtler Tripod System

Return to posts index

Ian Smith
on Jan 14, 2008 at 7:57:52 pm

Thank you very much for the speedy reply...
That brings me to a few new question:

I am set up with 5 point lighting,... two on subject, one hair light, and two on backdrop (paper roll - green screen).

1. Any green screen lighting tips?
Naturally I seem to have most trouble if the subject is wearing mid-tones to light colors.

2. Have you had trouble with a peach glow on persons face, especially on profile shots? If I boost "black in-point" it helps, though I am aware that, that should be moved little to none at all.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Gary Alan
on Jan 15, 2008 at 3:56:53 am

I never move the Black Point or Detail Gain. Just sample the high color and low color and then tweak them. Then go back and forth to in point and out point. After you tweak the colors, the in and out point will give you different results. So go back and forth. after awhile, you get used to what each control can do for you. It's amazing that it keys almost perfectly at first from doing nothing.

Greenscreen... light evenly and don't over expose/light it. Just get it to show green saturation. More lighting creates more spill. I raise dimmers on the screen lights until I see it okay. Also, the more distance from screen to talent, the better. And the higher the lights, the shadows fall on the floor and not the wall. I have two large soft lights for green wall and typical Fresnels for key and back light with a large soft for fill out front.

The new software keyers today work good with almost anything.

Best,
Gary

Mac Pro 3Ghz Intel Dual Duo, 6GB RAM, 30" ACD
MacBook Pro 17"
Sony XDCAM EX with a Sachtler Tripod System

Return to posts index

Ian Smith
on Jan 16, 2008 at 1:25:22 pm

Yes, I have noticed that both the black inpoint and detail gain both tend to decay image quality, and that by first adjusting the color RGB, usually B, then R... I have found best results.

I believe you're exactly right about the blown out areas on my lit greenscreen causing the issues with a peach glow on the side of talents face.

Thank you very much for your input. I will put all of this to good use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]