FORUMS: list search recent posts

video card and Motion3

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Rowley
video card and Motion3
on Jan 11, 2008 at 12:07:39 pm

I'm about to be between editing jobs and am finally ready to upgrade to FCP Studio2 with Motion3. My video card - ATI Radeon 9650 - I realize is at the lowest end of the system specs. I do not do a ton of graphics or plan on heavy duty 3D in the near future. If I do simple slates, lower thirds, some simple animation or graphics using pre built templates am I still setting myself up for a rough ride? I have 4GB's of RAM.
Thanks for anyone's experience or advice.

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP 5.1.2, OS X10.4.8

Return to posts index

Gabriele de Simone
Re: video card and Motion3
on Jan 16, 2008 at 7:37:23 pm

The ATI Radeon 9650 isn't fast by today's standards, but if I'm not mistaken it comes with 256MB of VRAM and that should let you work with HD-sized frames at 8-bit fairly well.

If you're planning to use built-in or third-party plug-ins based on FxPlug, keep in mind that you may get an error message that says "failed to render at the current size, etc..." when working with HD-sized frames.
If that ever happens, switch your Sequence Settings > Video Processing option to "Render in 8-bit YUV" and you should be able to render fine.

AFAIK, the only Sequence presets that comes with high-precision rendering enabled by default are the (new) ProRes presets.

Hope this helps,
Gabe
Noise Industries, LLC
http://www.noiseindustries.com

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
Re: video card and Motion3
on Jan 17, 2008 at 8:56:37 am

Thanks for the heads up Gabe.
So far everything is working fine but I'll keep that in mind. I know that was already the case for my Sugar plug-ins.
Cheers, kim

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP Studio 2 (6.02), OS X10.4.11

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]