FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion vs. Livetype

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Hamm
Motion vs. Livetype
on Dec 7, 2007 at 8:34:04 am

Ok, I really want to love Motion, but I having some issues because what I can do in LiveType *looks* like something I can do in Motion, but I'm having no luck.

I've been editing a tv show for a year now, it's a local college coaches show, it's great fun, and I'm happy with the way I've made it better, but that's from last year when I first started. I want to update the stuff, but motion seems to take 5 times as long to render, and the controls aren't as flexible.

For instance - I can place anything into the timeline of LiveType, and apply any effect, and it works as you'd expect. Livetype treats everything the same, which I would guess would be a glyph of a font.

In motion, I try to apply some effect that is listed as a text-effect to something that is not a glyph, and it won't apply. So I have to build it. But low and behold, it seems that LiveType is part of Motion. Am I missing something?

Also, when I take one of the metallic livefonts and give it a color in LiveType, it gets a new color. In Motion, using the same panel and the same control and color, I get a funky overlay color look that sucks. It's just weird.

Now, the reason that I want to switch to Motion is the templates that can be set with text fields and drop zones, so that I can build the segments for Athletes of the Week and Play of the week and just drop the video in or type the name and add a pic in Final Cut without having to make a LiveType sequence each time.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

footagehead
Re: Motion vs. Livetype
on Dec 16, 2007 at 3:17:33 pm

Hi Kevin
the short answer is use both. I love using Livetype for long form projects. Its very stable and I dont mind opening separate LiveType projects from my Final Cut Pro timeline with the 'open in editor' command. For speed and efficiency in more complex composites, Motion works better.
The ability to create custom templates in Motion 3 and use them in FCP6 is also a great advantage.

Livetype is not part of Motion. Motion has a different and in many ways more powerful text animation engine, very configurable. These text effects - (behaviours) are specific to text because of the way Motion deals with text groups - more than one glyph if you will. The text preset categories in the library panel of Motion are mostly of this type. Livefonts are tacked into Motion - there is only a limited amount of control available.

Its not that the controls are less flexible - they are an order of magnitude more flexible than LiveType and consequently quite scary first up. You can save more or less anything as a preset in Motion.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Footagehead

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]