FORUMS: list search recent posts

green screen filter problem

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
park84
green screen filter problem
on Nov 22, 2007 at 9:20:02 pm

I have been asked to do some green screen work for my current project and I did some tests with motion's blue/green screen filter. I was using professional digital green screen paint and had good light so the chroma key seemed to come out decent but for some reason the edges of the subject were super pixelated and very digital looking (like stairs) when I took out the background in motion. Am I missing a step or do I need another program to get a better effect? I haven't done much green screen work so any tips would help out a lot. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: green screen filter problem
on Nov 23, 2007 at 12:59:29 am

I loves me some Motion but green screen comps are not it's strong suit. Try the chroma key filter in FCP or use Shake or After Effects.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, Apple Color and now the HVX200!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

specialcase
on Nov 23, 2007 at 1:11:45 pm

Howdy,

Did you shoot on a lossy format like DV, HDV or DVCPRO HD? The main keying filter that comes with Motion

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Nov 24, 2007 at 5:19:43 pm

I would like to suggest the Conduit "app" from the same people who make DVMatte Blast. It'll work in both Motion and FCP. It does take a little more time to work with because it's a nodal compositor, BUT it works in both programs and can give you more flexibility in your compositing. When working with those lossy formats, this is by far the best flexibility and quality for the price. :) Just my two cents.

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

Return to posts index

park84
on Nov 25, 2007 at 3:02:14 am

Thanks for the tips. I guess I should have mentioned in the first email that I am shooting on a panasonic dvx 100b, so it sounds like i'll have problems right off the bat with the resolution alone. I looked into dvmatte and conduit...both from the same company and conduit is only 50 dollars more expensive. Is it the same as dvmatte but better (and more customizable)? Or are they two different/complimentary programs? Is conduit somewhat of a competitor to shake? (the way it maps stuff out looks similar) I am very aware of how easily green screen can look horrible and I definitely don't want that so I am trying to research all this as much as I can before execution...especially since it seems inevitable I will have to purchase another program/plug in to get a desirable result. Thanks again for any and all replies. Cheers!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 25, 2007 at 7:05:10 am

Sure conduit is more powerful but a bit steeper learning curve. Try the demos. I'd still suggest that Motion is not the ideal platform for greenscreen shots.

--Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, Apple Color and now the HVX200!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Nov 27, 2007 at 10:59:09 pm

Yeah there is a bit of a learning curve because it is such a different way of thinking about compositing when you haven't used a nodal compositor before. I still say for the price it's worth it, but try out the demos. I will say that I do not use it in Motion though. I like to use Conduit in FCP.

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]