FORUMS: list search recent posts

macbook pro graphics card

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rbroat
macbook pro graphics card
on Nov 17, 2007 at 3:36:20 am

Do I have enough horsepower on my macbook pro - dual core 2.33ghz 3 gb ram RadeonX1600 graphics card - to run motion3?

Return to posts index

specialcase
Re: macbook pro graphics card
on Nov 17, 2007 at 8:55:18 pm

Howdy,

That's the system I'm using right now :)

Return to posts index

rbroat
on Nov 18, 2007 at 12:30:13 am

so i'm guessing that means that i have the power. right?

Return to posts index

oellen
on Nov 18, 2007 at 11:34:42 pm

I have a MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz with 2 GB of Ram and RadeonX1600 graphics card. If I have a bunch of layers and effects, Motion 3 brings the computer to a standstill. It's very frustrating. I was thinking of replacing this computer with either a newer MacBook or a desktop. If the newer MacBooks works well then I'd prefer that. Love to hear from other people if Motion 3 is working ok on the newer MacBooks. Ellen

Return to posts index

meridian
on Nov 19, 2007 at 12:06:09 am

Well you can forget about the MacBook. Don't have one but since Motion relies heavily on the GPU, the MacBook Pro will be a far better choice.

Here's a BareFeats test from July 2007 that will give you an idea . . .

http://www.barefeats.com/rosa02.html

Return to posts index

oellen
on Nov 19, 2007 at 12:11:36 am

What I meant to say is that I'd rather get a new Macbook Pro than a new desktop. I have one of the first MacBook Pros and Motion 3 doesn't run well on it. But I don't want to buy a new Macbook Pro only to once again be frustrated when using Motion 3.

Return to posts index

meridian
on Nov 19, 2007 at 1:57:27 am

Well I DID try out Motion 3 (briefly) on a demo 17" MacBook Pro at the Apple 5th Ave store the other day and dragging just 3 iPhoto images onto a HD template (the one with lots of blocks flying in from upper left to lower right I forget the name) slowed Motion to a standstill.

I think if you really want to work in Motion 3 I'd suggest getting a MacPro with a *beefy* video card. FWIW.

Return to posts index

Analogwhale
on Nov 19, 2007 at 10:22:15 pm

I'm actually at a bit of a snapping point right now with Motion 3. I have the latest gen 15" MBP with an NVidia 8600 GT card, and 4GB of RAM. Sad to say, but one of Apple's major Pro Apps breaks its flagship laptop.

The moment two hi-res photos and some particles meet on screen, the process slowed too much to consider using the "live" preview. Everything had to be scrubbed through.

That being the case, I think I'm switching back to AE or going over to Combustion. If I can't take advantage of the "real-time" edit options, then Motion suddenly looks a bit under-cooked when you consider little things like lights not casting shadows.

This may sound like bickering. It is still a good program, but if it only runs to spec on a $5000 desktop, doesn't do me much good.

I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts on this.

Return to posts index

meridian
on Nov 19, 2007 at 1:58:37 am

sorry for the double post!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]