FORUMS: list search recent posts

What to do to make Motion 3 work properly????

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Flavio G. Garc
What to do to make Motion 3 work properly????
on Nov 12, 2007 at 12:58:49 pm

Hello everyone;

this is what I

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: What to do to make Motion 3 work properly????
on Nov 12, 2007 at 4:49:51 pm

Sounds like possibly something wrong with your graphics hardware- might want to take it in for service.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, Apple Color and now the HVX200!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Flavio G. Garc
on Nov 12, 2007 at 5:03:22 pm

Thanks Noah,

but the thing is: lots of other users ara having these bugs too.

So, how could it be a hardare malfunction of my system?

Flavio.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 12, 2007 at 11:10:53 pm

Well to be honest I've been using Motion 1-3 and I've never encountered the level of issues you're describing so I can assure you it's not the software but your particular hardware.

Return to posts index

Flavio G. Garc
on Nov 13, 2007 at 12:02:57 am

And I can asure you it

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 13, 2007 at 3:43:03 am

Sorry just trying to help you out- but anyways good luck.

Return to posts index

JeffG
on Nov 13, 2007 at 7:50:21 pm

Optical Flow...

Open up the keyframe editor for Optical flow - you'll find with a little tweaking the curve now won't go downwards (backward movement in time.)

Has upgrading to QT 7.3 alieviated any of your problems?

Best,

Jeff G
Principal Instructor
Future Media Concepts

FMCTraining.com
Editorsretreat.com

Return to posts index

Flavio G. Garc
on Nov 14, 2007 at 12:06:50 pm

Thanks for the tip.

For me, Optical Flow will work good sometimes and sometimes it won

Return to posts index

JeffG
on Nov 14, 2007 at 12:18:57 pm

Flavio,

There is something definitely wrong with your system. I'm not sure what it is. It's ashame you don't have access to a second system (someone elses.)

You're having a number of problems that many people aren't having; I don't know if its the video card (it could be - there are people reporting problems with (for example) the x1900 card.)

If you're getting a better look with frame blending over optical flow, then yes, something wrong. The exact problem you described (items going backwards) is something I've seen a number of times.

Optical flow (as well as avid's fluidmorph) are essentially doing the same thing (with different math, each proprietary.) They're morphing between the available frames to yield new synthetic frames.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Best,

Jeff G
Principal Instructor
Future Media Concepts

FMCTraining.com
Editorsretreat.com

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 20, 2007 at 1:44:47 am

I have to say I tried using Motion for the first time in a while today to do some motion graphics work. (Usually I use it for text stuff and retiming with decent results, and reserve the more complicated stuff for AE). This is the first time I have used Motion 3, and I found it extremely weird. It crashed no less than four times, I had the black frames problem that would only get solved by a restart and pref trash. I thought it might have to do with the Kona (didn't have time to test with on or off), but since you are using this on an iMac, perhaps it's not the Kona. I also tried exporting through compressor and the machine completely locked up, twice, forcing a 'hold-the-power-button' shut down, twice.

The black frame issue was getting me today. All of a sudden in RAM previews and in renders, the canvas would just go black, then I'd quit the render. I then quit Motion, restarted, zapped pram, repaired the yadda yaddas, and eventually the problem would come back. After the fourth or fifth crash, I gave up and went to AE. It's too bad, I was getting some great results with Motion when it did work, but there's no way I could use it day to day at this point. This was a very simple 15 second animation.

If anyone knows anything, I'm all ears. I guess it's time for a group up reinstall. I was trying to aviod this until Leopard was ready because I'll have to do it all again.

this system is FCS 2.0.1 (haven't done the latest round of updates) QT 7.2, OS 10.4.10, ATI x1900, 16GBs of RAM, fast raid array, 8cores.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gorgonzollas
on Nov 21, 2007 at 3:51:45 pm

Flavio, I don't think it is your system at all. I have an 8 core macpro and i get many of the same issues. In fact, today i cant even open motion without it crashing. i get the black screen, and my stills in the animation like to turn orange for some reason. maybe i should send everyone my project and you can see if its only my system that is crashing, cause i assure you that this is strictly a software issue.

James Godwin

Post Production Guy

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 22, 2007 at 6:31:55 pm

I had the orange overlay screen too. Real strange.

It has to be some sort of graphics card issue I'd imagine.

I need to update my system as see if it gets fixed. What versions of everything are you on, James?

Return to posts index

gorgonzollas
on Nov 26, 2007 at 3:15:47 pm

Final Cut Studio 2
Motion 3.0.1

OS X 10.4.10

Radeon X1900 graphics

I found that I can only export up to four frames at a time without getting the orange boxes, and after 3 exports I get them anyway so i save, quit, reopen and re-export and it works. now, i do have a lot of layers, all in 3d space, but nothing this system shouldn't be able to handle...

James Godwin

Post Production Guy

Return to posts index

Doece25
on Nov 26, 2007 at 3:23:02 pm

I have been having problems with Motion 3 for quite some time. I run a quad 3.0, 6 gigs ram, x1900 system and for the past few months motion has been crashing.

Mainly it would crash if I tried to move around in 3D space with a big sweeping move, or anytime I would switch from perspective view into active camera view, it would crash. Having saved after every change I finally got the project done I was working on.

I thought all would be saved by the new update to Motion, which supposedly brings it up to date with leopard, correct?? (which I am running). I updated all my software and the OS, now Motion will not even open. I click it in the dock and right off the bat I get the "This Program Unexpectedly quit" and yet all other FCP studio programs open up no problem.

I guess an reinstall and re-update of Motion is in order? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-MATT

Return to posts index

gorgonzollas
on Nov 27, 2007 at 6:20:10 pm

So, i found a workaround that may be better for others.

The project that I am doing requires that we update certain text in parts roughly once a month. In preparation for this I took each layer in the timeline and rendered them out in their own QuickTime movie along with the camera movements and this seemed to work much better.

Since Motion only has the one layer of elements and the camera moving it rendered everything quicker, except one of the layers that has a blur on it, which is where it crashes every time it hits a certain part of the export. But, at least it crashes faster and more predictably with this method.

James Godwin

Post Production Guy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]