FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aluminum iMac feedback

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Henry Cow
Aluminum iMac feedback
on Oct 25, 2007 at 9:43:19 am

Hi

I run a 24 seat lab in a university and Im looking at upgrade options of our hardware.

Do any users here have experience of running Motion on the new Aluminum iMacs (the 24" 2.4ghz versions, probably with 1gb which can be slightly upgraded)

If so, can you give me your experiences of Motion2 running on these machines. The suit us budget wise, but Im unsure whether they are really worth it in the long run if the performance is somewhat inadequate for doing motion work.

FYI we currently run on dual 2.3 G5s with 9600s (I think, not in front of a box at the moment) and Motion is slugish, especially with camera/particle/replicatior additions.

Cheers Hen.

Return to posts index

Henry Cow
Re: Aluminum iMac feedback
on Oct 25, 2007 at 7:47:44 pm

oops, sorry, I meant Motion 3...

Return to posts index

dasikes
on Oct 26, 2007 at 2:43:17 pm

I've had absolutely no problems in the almost 2 months running the full Final Cut Studio 2 on my 2.4 GHz 20" iMac with 2 GB memory.

I've had no problems working between Motion, FCP, or any apps in the Studio. The render time is good (definately better than the G5 I use at work), and stability is great!

- David

Return to posts index

Henry Cow
on Oct 26, 2007 at 5:59:17 pm

Thanks David.
Can I ask you how responsive the machine feels with 'heavy' usage... I mean particles and replicators. If you really push motion, does the machine stall a lot?
And how are the RAM preview times? I have never been on a mac that this wasnt needed to get a feel for timing.

Return to posts index

Zak Mussig
on Nov 12, 2007 at 11:26:29 pm

Henry,

I haven't used the new iMac for editing, just playing at the Apple store, but from my experience moving from a dual 2.5 G5 to 3.0 Mac Pro, the Intel Macs are much faster. I imagine the high-end 24" model would hold up pretty for in a media lab setting. Motion 3 should perform pretty well... going forward with FCS3+, who knows. You may find yourself balancing performance with what you can afford. I'm assuming you're in a setting where less systems which are more powerful and expandable in the future just sounds like less systems going up the ladder. There wouldn't be any money to expand them later anyway, would there?

One thing I would look into a bit more are the rumblings of some hardware flaw with the new iMacs which makes systems drop XBOX 360 style. If there isn't anything to it, I'd say the the aluminum iMac would suit you really well, and you'd be very happy compared to your current systems.

Zak

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]