on Oct 24, 2007 at 12:27:12 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to make a buying-decision between the 15 inch macbook pro with

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics
128MB SDRAM

and

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics
256MB SDRAM

other differences are 0,2 Ghz CPU-speed and $ 500,-..

the question is: hoe much does the extra 128 mb of video ram affect the performance speed of Motion 3?

of course I want the app to run 'as realtime as possible'

anyone a clue?

jochem

Return to posts index

Scott
Re: macbook pro with 128 of 256 VRAM?
on Oct 26, 2007 at 9:07:35 am

There will certanly come a point that the amount of layers you have going will affect preview rendering speed, especially if there is alot of memory swapping because of low Vram.

I think this falls in the "as much as possible" category. If you can afford the extra $500, definitly do it.

PS, I am biased, I just got the MacbookPro with 256. I couldn't imagine using aything less.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Nov 7, 2007 at 9:01:43 pm

Hi Jocem. Just something to consider (though it may not matter much for your situation). I just posted yesterday an interesting problem. My ATI X1800XT card with 256 MB RAM in my G5 can't seem to hold a candle to my MacBook Pro's 128 MB video card. This is absurd and very upsetting, but true. I get errors and weird breakups if I try to open a Motion 3 project i did on my MBP on my G5, yet the ATI has twice the vide memory. Particularly with images over 2048x2048 - with both machines having the same settings in motion as well as preferences set exactly. The MBP gives me no errors and performs much better than my Dual 2 GHz G5.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Scott Wright
on Nov 13, 2007 at 7:12:50 pm

That is an excellent point Tangier,

The newer video cards have a lot more power.

Again, I think it comes down to how much you can afford. Buy the best you can now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]