FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to import vector file to a Motion shape object?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alexlj
how to import vector file to a Motion shape object?
on Oct 22, 2007 at 2:16:34 pm

Hi everyone

here is what i am trying to do:

1. I have a typography created in Illustrator, saved in AI and PDF format.
2. I want to import the vector into Motion 3 so I can apply particle emmitters on the shape.

the problems are

1. strangely My motion 3 does not import .ai file. all the .ai files are grey which is not click-able.

2. so I have to import the PDF (saved in illustrator). then do the following steps:

a) apply emmitter
b) in the inspector, change shape value to geometry
c) drag the imported graph into "shape source" box

the box rejects the file.

I want the particle to be emmited from the outline of the typography not from the rectangular image canvas.

Can anyone advice please.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: how to import vector file to a Motion shape object?
on Oct 22, 2007 at 3:30:45 pm

You need to convert your illustrator paths to shape using this script:

http://www.motionsmarts.com/downloads.html

Return to posts index

alexlj
on Oct 22, 2007 at 3:44:27 pm

thanks

I had tried it and it can only export simple paths.

my vector contains some compound paths and groups which apparently that script can't handle.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
stevec319
on Oct 22, 2007 at 6:32:17 pm

Hello,

Make sure the text in your illustrator file is converted to outlines. When you save it as an .ai file make sure "Create PDF Compatible File" is checked, this will allow motion to open it.

Once you have your .ai file in Motion and you've set up your emitter you need to set Shape to Image (not geometry), then set Arrangement to Random Fill and drag your .ai file in to the Image Source well.

You may have to mess about with a few more settings to get it just right but this should be a start.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Return to posts index

brac001
on Oct 22, 2007 at 10:29:53 pm

Hello

I am following that threat and i have a similar question does anybody how to do that with multiple layers I have a logo which i want to import in motion as a layered file (just like in AFter effects)
I tried the script but it only exports the first file do i have to export all 30 layers of the logo one by one and than assemble in motion

hope somebody can help i posted a similar questions but no reply

Return to posts index

bogiesan
on Oct 23, 2007 at 2:16:42 pm

Adobe's products are much better integrated. You will find this far easier to do in After Effects with a layered AI or PS file than in Motion.
Umm, that's what I have found. Mark Spencer or another powerful wizard may have better advice for you but I'd say the time wasted trying to force Apple's Motion to correctly use Adobe's files will be better spend simply firing up AE.

Aside: I've never needed to animate 30 layers of some dope's logo. Certainly some of those can be combined.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
brac001
on Oct 23, 2007 at 2:24:40 pm

Thanks for the answer

Actually i found a way around. I made the AI file big in resolution then I exported the file as Layered PSD File and import that file as a Project (layered) into motion and i had all layers as seperate files in motion

regards

Return to posts index

alexlj
on Oct 24, 2007 at 3:08:37 am

did you get a shape instead of a rectangular?

I have tried your method but I am still getting the particles emitted from the frame (rectangular) of the layered image

Return to posts index

brac001
on Oct 25, 2007 at 4:45:48 pm

Sorry

for just getting back to you i actually did not do anything in regards your questions . i was glad to get it in motion the way i wanted. I am not a full time editor .

Return to posts index

alexlj
on Oct 24, 2007 at 3:05:03 am

hi

thanks but if I set it to image it will not maintain the shape. It will be the an rectangular which is just the size of the image.

what I want is the shape of the typography not the frame of the image.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]