FORUMS: list search recent posts

Random spin particles in X & Y axis?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff
Random spin particles in X & Y axis?
by
on Sep 20, 2007 at 2:22:08 pm

I'm trying to create...this is so typical...a fall scene with leaves falling that I can fly around. I used a particle generator in 3d with custom leaf particles and the cube setting. It works great. I have a deep scene of randomly falling leaves to fly through.

But I don't like the way that all leaves are facing the same direction. I'd like to randomly spin their Y and X axis' so that we are seeing the sides of some and some are titled up, etc. If I use spin it just spins them on the Z axis. Am I missing a setting somewhere for this? I tried using wind and vortex, but even then they don't seem to spin them off the same axis. They are always all facing the same direction.

Thanks,

Jeff

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Random spin particles in X & Y axis?
on Sep 20, 2007 at 3:18:21 pm

did you turn on the 3D particles property?

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and now Apple Color!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jeff
by
on Sep 20, 2007 at 3:48:24 pm

Noah,

Yes, I turned on the 3D property. So I have leaves spread throughout Z-space but I can't randomly turn them other than spin. I'd like to randomly spin on all three axis.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
on Sep 20, 2007 at 9:03:11 pm

You could:

1) Select Emitter in Layers tab
2) Deselect "Face Camera" option in Emitter tab in Inspector
(Between "Interleave Particles" and "Cell Controls")
3) Go to Properties tab in Inspector, then open up all three axis parameters under Rotation and set an Oscillate Behavior to the Y-axis (or whatever).

(And also have a Basic Motion Spin Behavior on the Leaf Cell itself.)

Return to posts index

Jeff
by
on Sep 21, 2007 at 11:09:03 am

Burt,

That helps, but unless I'm doing something wrong, rotating in the properties tab is rotating all the particles equally. If I oscillate the Y, then they all rotate in sync. I'm mostly looking for a way to randomly rotate each particle in X & Y like you can in Z. Maybe it's not possible. I would guess if it was that the controls would be in the master emitter tab. I'm surprised though that wind or vortex don't seem to randomly spin them.

But thanks for the input. It helps.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
on Sep 21, 2007 at 1:59:46 pm

Well it may not be totally possible, well, at least without keyframing. :) But a possible workaround might be to have multiple Emitters with different parameters and low Birth Rates for more randomness.

Return to posts index

Jeff
by
on Sep 22, 2007 at 4:01:55 pm

That's the conclusion I've reached too. Thanks for the help!

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]