FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aburd-- plain text brings motion to its knees.

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CoryTV
Aburd-- plain text brings motion to its knees.
on Sep 13, 2007 at 9:05:01 pm

Latest Motion with latest pro app update. Dual 3.0 Dual Xeon MAC Pro. ATI 1900.

I have some templates that I have created for theoretical use in FCP for TV commercials with dropzones and text etc etc, and I really bombed and missed a deadline last month when they took FOREVER to render -- very low CPU utilization, literally 30 MINUTES!!! for a 30 second spot-- insane. Now, I'm dissecting them to find out what the slowdown is (besides the absurd inefficiency of motion) and it turns out one of the biggest slowdown is PLAIN DISCLAIMER TEXT.

That's right, just 4 or 5 lines of plain fonted disclaimer text with or without a drop shadow halves (or less!) the speed of Motion. I tried even removing the fade in/out, but it still has the issue. Simply plain 2D text brings it to it's knees.

WTF????

This thing is so not-ready-for-primetime it's not funny. Anybody experience this? Is there some checkbox somewhere that's killing my performance? I can't imagine why in the world this is happening...

Cory

Return to posts index

bogiesan
Re: Aburd-- plain text brings motion to its knees.
on Sep 14, 2007 at 2:46:36 pm

> WTF???? <

Ah, colorful.

> This thing is so not-ready-for-primetime it's not funny. Anybody experience this? Is there some checkbox somewhere that's killing my performance? I can't imagine why in the world this is happening... <

I hate and loathe Motion with a passion no one else can even touch but I use eensie weensie text often without issues. I use all kinds of text animation and effects in Motion.

Perhaps you could share the project file.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
Re: Aburd-- plain text brings motion to its knees.
on Sep 14, 2007 at 3:45:30 pm

I've had similar issues with the speed of Motion. I just always thought it was my lack in experience with older slower text animators and graphics compositors. I'd have a simple broadcast SD project and I ad more than one layer of text and I start to get slow downs. Adding anything more than a simple fad in/fade out was almost out of the question. I don't get it.

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]