FORUMS: list search recent posts

pivot in Motion2

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
camshaft
pivot in Motion2
on Sep 2, 2007 at 7:39:46 pm

Trying to do a simple move of having a still "pivot" back and forth on a vertical axis (like hanging from a string)

The only rotate is either clockwise or counter-clockwise in 2D.

Am I not seeing something?

Thanks!

Cameron Young

Return to posts index

specialcase
Re: pivot in Motion2
on Sep 2, 2007 at 8:09:09 pm

Howdy,

Motion 2 doesn't have the full 3D transforms that can be found in Motion 3, but it does have the Basic 3D filter, which allows for X,Y,Z rotation of an image. The filter uses the center of the image as the pivot point, though, so if you want a non-centered pivot, just nest the image in a larger, fixed-rez layer and apply the filter to the layer. The layer is padded out with empty space so that its center is wherever you want the pivot to be on the image.

Please note that layers have been renamed to "groups" in Motion 3. Ah, how confusing all this can be to describe when the names are so generalized and generic.

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
Re: pivot in Motion2
on Sep 6, 2007 at 2:59:37 pm

Or you could move the anchor point...

For instance, for a pendulum effect:

1) Toolbar>View>Adjust Anchor Point Tool
2) Move object anchor point to a new position in Canvas
3) Inspector>Properties>Right click to bring up Parameter behavior Pop-Up>Choose Oscillate (leave default sine wave shape)
4)Adjust sine wave amplitude to regulate pendulum swing

That by the way takes about 10 seconds to do tops. Another argument in this whole Motion vs. After Effects debate, while the AE people are still downloading a "How to Make a Pendulum Effect" tutorial, we're already onto the next project!

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
Missed a step
on Sep 6, 2007 at 3:07:28 pm

You're applying the Oscillate behavior to the Rotation parameter, of course:

3) Inspector>Properties>Rotation>Right click to bring up Parameter behavior Pop-Up>Choose Oscillate (leave default sine wave shape)

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
Re: My Boo-boo :)
on Sep 6, 2007 at 7:05:49 pm

I realized that what you were asking involves rotating an object on the Y-axis, not the Z-axis, so definitely do what specialcase is suggesting.

This is what happens when I try to do too many things in one day. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]