FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating cartoons in Motion 3

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
geoffplatt
Creating cartoons in Motion 3
on Sep 1, 2007 at 9:31:28 pm

Hi,

I've been reading the Motion discussions for a while now (since I got FCS2) but this is my first post.

I just thought I would get your thoughts and opinions of this little clip I've produced. It's based on a sit-com script I wrote a couple of years ago, and in that time I've been researching the best way to animate it. I was toying with the usual suspects, Maya, Flash, Toon Boom and the like, but was never really happy with any of them. I really wanted an application that would not only be easy to work in, but also have a distintive look and be broadcast quality out of the box.

Well, guess what? Motion 3 (as part of FCS) does all that and I haven't even touched the special effects (OK, I'm beginning to soung like a commercial). But what I especially like is making a program do what it wasn't meant to do.

It started out as a 720P project. The buildings and backgrounds were built out of .psd images literally like a house of cards. The characters themselves were created directly in Motion. Keyframing seemed to be the most natural way to animate cartoon people, the dialogue was recorded and manipulated in Soundtrack Pro, while Motion's Audio Parameters took care of the lipsync. Each shot was exported as a Quicktime file (animation codec) and cut in FCP. From there it can be exported to almost any delivery format and size you like.

To date, all I've managed is a 45-second teaser, but I like to think it acts as a proof-of concept.

You can see it nice and clean on my new website:
http://www.geoffplattcreative.com

Or a more artifact-ridden YouTube version:

As I said I would be delighted to hear any comments, questions and suggestions!

Regards

Geoff Platt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]