FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scrolling Titles in Motion 3

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
neuro54
Scrolling Titles in Motion 3
on Aug 26, 2007 at 7:38:10 pm

hi,
i am doing titles for a movie right now. classic scrolling titles from the bottom to the top, the whole cast and so on.

i want to use the font century gothic, bold, size 17. white (95%white) on black background. i dont use the scrolling behavior because i have some logos too, which also have to scroll, so i animate the whole group (titles with logos) from the bottom to the top.
but they dont look really good. i tried several options(frame blending, fieldrendering,etc.) either they are "wobbeling" or they do not scroll smooth. i know it has something to do with the half pictures in the tv. i work on pal.

can somebody help me with that? are there specific adjustments i have to pay attention?

thanks so far.

Return to posts index

neuro54
Re: Scrolling Titles in Motion 3
on Aug 27, 2007 at 8:34:22 am

no idea?

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
on Aug 27, 2007 at 2:17:05 pm

How do the titles look on a broadcast PAL monitor?

Return to posts index

neuro54
on Sep 1, 2007 at 3:49:46 pm

they are..hmm how can i describe that. they are wobbeling, swimming. they change their size a bit while they are scrolling up...

Return to posts index

cha909
on Sep 4, 2007 at 1:12:06 pm

i don't know exactly what your problem looks like, but if the text jumps while scrolling up, like skipping a frame or something; then as far as i know there's nothing much you can do.

i had some problem with scrolling text before in motion 2, tried posting the problem in many places, and talked to many people; even people from apple at the convention; i got no solution. There were many suggestions, such as frame blending, de-interlancing, shifting pixels, and blur, and so on; but non of them correct my problem. I was extremely fraustrated, until i saw one episode of sopranos with text scrolling up jumpy. Ever since then, i have notice many many more professional projects that have the same problem. So i rest my case.

I know this doesn't sound like a positive thing at all, what can i say.

I've tried using aftereffect as well, same problem, so did boris. If i remeber correctly, the person from apple told me that the problem with scrolling text is that the way the computer calculates when given the text, and then the time the text needs to enter the frame and finally exit.
i have seems scrolling text done perfect, but just don't know how they did it. I suppose this problem doesn't happen to everyone, otherwise how come we don't know this is a known problem?

I wish i just asked the wrong people, after all. if somebody, can render the perfect scrolling text, please correct my negativity, and show me how. I'll appreciate that.

and for those who would like to try it out, simply type up something that fills the space of 720 by 2095 with font size that's around 14-48(since, i never tried anything bigger). and then you can use behavior, text behavior, or key frame it to scroll, then render it out as a mov. or motion jpeg, or mpeg2, you wll find that some parts of the clip will not be smooth.

neuro, if we had a different problem. I appologize for elaborating on this thread. one more thing, the suggestion i got from other people, such as those mentioned above, do help a little, is just that none of them actually fixed the problem completely.

Return to posts index

cha909
on Sep 4, 2007 at 1:14:47 pm

i don't know exactly what your problem looks like, but if the text jumps while scrolling up, like skipping a frame or something; then as far as i know there's nothing much you can do.

i had some problem with scrolling text before in motion 2, tried posting the problem in many places, and talked to many people; even people from apple at the convention; i got no solution. There were many suggestions, such as frame blending, de-interlancing, shifting pixels, and blur, and so on; but non of them correct my problem. I was extremely fraustrated, until i saw one episode of sopranos with text scrolling up jumpy. Ever since then, i have notice many many more professional projects that have the same problem. So i rest my case.

I know this doesn't sound like a positive thing at all, what can i say.

I've tried using aftereffect as well, same problem, so did boris. If i remeber correctly, the person from apple told me that the problem with scrolling text is that the way the computer calculates when given the text, and then the time the text needs to enter the frame and finally exit.
i have seems scrolling text done perfect, but just don't know how they did it. I suppose this problem doesn't happen to everyone, otherwise how come we don't know this is a known problem?

I wish i just asked the wrong people, after all. if somebody, can render the perfect scrolling text, please correct my negativity, and show me how. I'll appreciate that.

and for those who would like to try it out, simply type up something that fills the space of 720 by 2095 with font size that's around 14-48(since, i never tried anything bigger). and then you can use behavior, text behavior, or key frame it to scroll up in 30 sec(sometimes if it's slower the problem is less obvious), then render it out as a mov. or motion jpeg, or mpeg2, you wll find that some parts of the clip will not be smooth.

neuro, if we had a different problem. I appologize for elaborating on this thread. one more thing, the suggestion i got from other people, such as those mentioned above, do help a little, is just that none of them actually fixed the problem completely.

Return to posts index

neuro54
on Sep 5, 2007 at 2:14:23 pm

hi,
you might be right.
as far as i know when you see good looking scrolling titles (mostly in the cinema) they print it with some kind of laser, so they laser the titles directly into the film roll. i dont know if this is true but i heard it somewhere.
thanks and regards,

neuro

Return to posts index

Kevin Thorne
on Jul 14, 2009 at 12:00:29 am

I use illustrator to create the scroller, save text as paths then bring it into flash and export as quicktime -- that's the only way I've managed to get it right. I export to QT as an uncompressed file (creates quite the file too -- 20-30gb!) then use compressor to get it the correct size and speed (It often imports into final cut as a different speed, but that's fixable)

Trouble is, I can't include motion or livetype effects in it as they tend to wobble when scrolling.

There has to be a professional scroller available for macs -- I did find one, but it was really for home use, even though the author tried to customize it for me, the quality's just not there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]