FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Vector Images

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
thebishop
Importing Vector Images
on Aug 15, 2007 at 3:26:37 pm

I'm thinking this might be an argument for using AE over Motion. I have a map of the US that I want to zoom in very close on, but because of the resolution restriction in Motion, that isn't possible without getting jagged edges. The obvious solution would be to use a vector image so that when you zoom in on it, the edges maintain their sharpness.

However, Motion doesn't have a feature for importing Illustrator files. So, does anyone know of a way around this. Am I not aware of a feature for handling imported vector graphics? Or should I stick to AE for something like this?

Thanks.

Using Motion 3
CS3

Return to posts index

specialcase
Re: Importing Vector Images
on Aug 15, 2007 at 3:33:04 pm

Heya,

Motion can read an Illustrator file just fine. Just be sure to save the AI file with PDF compatibility. After you bring it into Motion, just select it, press Shift+F (takes to you the Media tab), then uncheck the Fixed Resolution checkbox. This will allow the vector image to be rasterized at whatever size it is on-screen (like continuous rasterization in AE).

Return to posts index

thebishop
on Aug 15, 2007 at 6:16:57 pm

Thank you for the advice, but I don't see a "Fixed Resolution" checkbox. Where is it?

Return to posts index

thebishop
on Aug 15, 2007 at 6:22:48 pm

Nevermind. I found it. It only shows up when you work wiht a 2D group.

Unfortunately, I'm still getting the jagged edges. As a vector graphic, the image should be just as sharp at 900% as it is a 100%.

I think I should just stick with AE for this.

Return to posts index

specialcase
on Aug 15, 2007 at 6:51:24 pm

Heya,

I see where the confusion lies: I wasn't referring to the Fixed Resolution option on 2D groups. I was referring to the Fixed Resolution option on the footage settings for your AI file. After you've imported your AI file, do the following:

1. Select the image in the Layers List.
2. Press Shift+F to shortcut to the footage settings for the image (your AI file).
3. In the Media tab of the Inspector, uncheck the Fixed Resolution checkbox.

This is similar to setting the footage interpretation settings on a piece of source media in FCP or AE. In this case, the Fixed Resolution option is specific to source footage that is vector-based.

Return to posts index

thebishop
on Aug 15, 2007 at 7:04:58 pm

There are 2 Media tabs. There is the one next to the layers tab that shows you all the Media currently being used on the project. Then there is the Media tab in the Inspector that shows the the properties for that specific piece of media.

The only "Fixed Resolution" checkbox I see is in the Inspector's Media tab, and it only shows up when the layer is a 2D group.

Checked or Unchecked, I get the same results.

Return to posts index

specialcase
on Aug 15, 2007 at 8:01:48 pm

Hey,

Actually, that tab in the Inspector will read as 'Group' when a group is selected and 'Media' if a media object is selected. If you follow the steps in my previous post, you will see the appropriate checkbox.

Here's a movie.

Return to posts index

thebishop
on Aug 15, 2007 at 11:01:34 pm

Thats really fantastic. Thank you!

Return to posts index

David Jolosky
on Aug 23, 2007 at 9:55:19 pm

If anyone is still tracking this thread. I am finding that any fxplug filter applied to the vector image causes the image to go raster, is this confirmed as such?

Return to posts index

SYFer
on Sep 15, 2007 at 11:40:42 pm

Hey David:

I had the same problem (filter causing rasterization), but when I applied it to the group instead of the image, it was fine. I'm sure you already discovered that, but wanted to add it to the thread.

"...all the labours of the ages, all the devotion, all the inspiration, all the noonday brightness..." yada yada

Return to posts index

Zack Olson
on May 11, 2011 at 11:11:54 pm

So I have been trying to follow your instructions to a tee, so I can import .ai files into Motion.
What am I doing wrong. I uncheck "Fixed Resolution" but still have jagged edges.

I am using Motion 4.

See screenshot below:

Return to posts index

David Jolosky
on May 12, 2011 at 12:13:19 am

instead of importing .ai, save as PDF and import

then change "fixed aspect"

d

david jolosky, visual communications || design || construct || interact

Return to posts index

Zack Olson
on May 12, 2011 at 1:53:51 am

Thanks for the quick reply.

Where can I find and change "fixed aspect" as you have suggested?

Return to posts index

Zack Olson
on May 12, 2011 at 1:56:32 am

I answered my own question. The issue is, i was zooming in the view and not changing the scale in the properties tab. I was fine with infinite resolution, but when I zoomed in, it was getting jagged.

Rookie mistake! Still trying to wrap my arms around the Motion interface.

Thanks again for all your help!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 12, 2011 at 3:15:14 pm

To change the "Fixed Aspect Ratio" do the following: Open up the Project Pane. Click on the Media tab. Select the AI file. Click on the Inspector tab in the Inspector. Select the Media tab if it is not already selected. Un check the Fixed Resolution check box. Jaggy edges become smooth.

Also set your resolution to best.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]