FORUMS: list search recent posts

3-D Depth

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Heller
3-D Depth
on Jul 31, 2007 at 2:28:14 pm

I'm new to motion and I appologize if this question has been asked before.
I want to take a company logo, which is shaped like a rectangle and have it spin, however I want it to have depth on the sides so it looks like a 3d block when it spins.

I put the 3d effect on and the "extrude" effect over top. This sort of makes it work however the extrude maintains a consistent shape on one side and doesn't adjust to the 3d movements. It looks like I could make it work if I key framed the extrude to adjust accordingly to the 3d movement, but that would be extremely time consuming and I figure that there must be a better way of doing this.

Thank You

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 3-D Depth
on Jul 31, 2007 at 3:55:26 pm

Motion is 2.5D just like After Effectsx- think of it as flat postcards floating in space. If you want sophisticated depth and extrude effects you still need a full-blown 3D program such as Maya, LightWave or Cinema4D.

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and Final Cut Pro!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Peter Wiggins
Re: 3-D Depth in Motion Tutorial
on Aug 1, 2007 at 1:25:31 pm

Jon,

Here is a tutorial for 3D text in Motion, but you could do the same thing with a logo

http://idustrialrevolution.com/content/blogsection/5/41/

Hope that helps

Peter

Return to posts index

SimonH
Re: 3-D Depth
on Aug 3, 2007 at 11:13:51 pm

Although Motion is 2.5D and you can't create of manipulate true 3D objects, you can cheat a little with cubes or any other flat sided shapes.
For a cube, you could create the 6 seperate sides of it in Photoshop as 6 flat layers (with transparent, or alpha BGs) then import each layer as seperate objects into Motion and rotate the sides through the relevant XYZ axis' to create the 3D cube.
As I said, this only works with flat sided objects: cubes, diamonds etc.. but it still lets you add a little 3D that you wouldn't normally be able to create. Ok maybe not true 3D, but at least 2.75D.

Simon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]