Parenting Lights and Cameras

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
The Galoot
Parenting Lights and Cameras
on Jul 17, 2007 at 9:26:14 pm

Hi,

I'm currently trying to parent the 3D movement of a light, to that of it's camera counterpart in one of my Motion 3 projects.. and It's driving me a little nutty as I'm pretty sure I'm missing something obvious.

I want to get the effect of a camera light. ie: wherever the camera moves in any axis, then the light will move that same amount from it's own relative postion. (Just like parenting different layers in After Effects)

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Simon

Return to posts index

Jem Schofield
Re: Parenting Lights and Cameras
on Jul 17, 2007 at 9:51:56 pm

This might help...

http://www.dvcreators.net/a-look-at-lights-in-motion-3/

jem schofield
producer/creative director/author
apple master trainer
--
Buttons Productions

Return to posts index

specialcase
on Jul 18, 2007 at 5:16:43 am

Heya Simon,

Easy as pie: the Match Move behavior (found in the Motion Tracking category). Not only does Match Move allow for pixel-based tracking, it also allows one object to match the transforms of another.

Just apply Match Move to your light and set the behavior's Source to the camera (drag-and-drop). By default, it will only match the Position values (relative to the light's original position), so if you want rotation matching, you need to toggle on the Rotation button in the behavior.

One last tip: take a look at the Transform popup in the behavior. It defaults to "Attach to Source", which treats the match-moved object like it's nailed to the source, but it also has a "Mimic Source" option. In the "Attach" mode, rotating the camera will cause the light to turn as if it were welded to the camera, pivoting on the *camera's* anchor point. "Mimic" mode will have the light rotate the same amount, but on its own anchor point. Each has its uses.

Good luck with your project!

Return to posts index

The Galoot
on Jul 18, 2007 at 1:36:49 pm

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Jem Schofield
on Jul 18, 2007 at 1:54:16 pm

Special Case,

Nice explanation. The link to the lights tutorial was a broad overview and you really targeted the workflow.

jem schofield
producer/creative director/author
apple master trainer
--
Buttons Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]