FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple rates of size change over time.

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Script-to-film
Multiple rates of size change over time.
on Jul 9, 2007 at 12:41:58 pm

Is there a way to change the size of an object by different rates over time. I'm trying to create the illusion of a camera flythrough of 3D space in Motion 2. I need stuff in the "background" to grow slowly at first and then grow quickly as the "camera" flies by them. TO CLARIFY: I'm not asking how to change size or set the rate of change. I'm asking if there is a behavioral way to change the rate of size change over time seamlessly to mimick real movement through 3D Space. At frame one I need it to be growing at 1%, by frame 90 I need it to be growing by 30%. That type of thing. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Multiple rates of size change over time.
on Jul 9, 2007 at 3:12:00 pm

Ramp behavior or keyframes- many other ways to do this.

-Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and Final Cut Pro!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Script-to-film
on Jul 9, 2007 at 7:34:04 pm

That still doesn't quite answer my question. I understand that you can ramp. But how do you specifically adjust the rate of growth over time. With the keyframes, how do you adjust a bezier curve on both X and Y at the same time?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 9, 2007 at 9:56:14 pm

Ramps can be applied to any parameter of any object such as x/y/z together or separately. Which pretty much covers any sort of increasing/decreasing movements you'd want to make. They can also be combined- i.e. several ramps on one object to create different movements over time.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and Final Cut Pro!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Lu Nelson
on Aug 31, 2007 at 7:22:49 am

Hi,

Sorry, if you're using Motion 2 this is difficult to do. There is I believe a "Basic 3D" filter which can mimic this to some extent but if you want to fly through multiple layers you need them to appear appropriately in relation to each other as well and you will encounter a lot of frustration in an app that doesn't really support 3D space.

Ramping, as you have noticed, doesn't do the trick because objects need to scale exponentially to look like they are 'flying' toward you., and ramps are linear.

However in Motion 3 you can ramp the Z position and you get precisely the right effect. Better yet, you simply do exactly what you described, which is position the layers in 3D space and fly the camera through them.

Check out ripple training's Motion 3 Fast Forward DVD -- they have a lesson which shows precisely a camera fly-through of layers in 3D Space

LMN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]