FORUMS: list search recent posts

Write-On Shape (a la flourish, vine growing)

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Write-On Shape (a la flourish, vine growing)
on Jul 2, 2007 at 7:25:33 pm

Folks, I am trying out some of the features in Motion 3 and am wondering if there is an "easy" way to animate/ reveal a shape so that it looks like it's being drawn. I've tried revealing a shape by breaking it apart in photoshop, bringing in the layers and just animating the crop parameter on some of those parts, but sometimes some shapes can be too complex for that - i.e a simple swirl shape.

How do I take a shape that I bring in to Motion 3 and have it drawn without using the crop feature?

Return to posts index

cow
lasvideo
Re: Write-On Shape (a la flourish, vine growing)
on Jul 2, 2007 at 7:40:55 pm

Ive done this alot in After Effects. Try assigning a track matte to the layer you want to reveal ,then use the pen tool- bezier to create a path. Im not sure which one, but I believe that there is a behavior similar to Write On in AE. That will animate the stroke on the track matte to reveal the underlying image. Please let us know what you end up doing.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 2, 2007 at 8:09:33 pm

Sorry, but I am a little confused. What isn't clear to me is using the pen tool to create a path for a shape to essentially fill up as a solid. Take a look at this test I did just using simple crop animations (http://tangierclarke.com/flourishtest.mov). I had to break that first piece at the bottom (right) into two pieces because when I animated the crop from left to right I run into the end of the piece before the furthest right part of it could get revealed. So it's one piece that crops open from left to right then the rest of it from bottom to top - all for that one plant base piece.

I don't quite get how to use the pen to animate that shape "filling" with color or writing on as people are accustomed to in AE.

Return to posts index

lasvideo
on Jul 2, 2007 at 9:40:14 pm

That looks great! They way I described uses the path of the pen tool as a track matte to reveal the object, but I say use whatever works and your approach certainly does the trick. Nice job.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 2, 2007 at 9:41:59 pm

I prefer your method. My method will cause a lot of headaches.
Could you explain it a little more - your method. I am not to familiar with using track mattes.

T

Return to posts index

lasvideo
on Jul 2, 2007 at 10:03:43 pm

Im at work (I edit on an Avid DS supplimented by After Effects in the daytime and go home and play around with FCS2 at night).
I will get back to you when Ive had a change to apply what I described earlier.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 2, 2007 at 10:00:59 pm

I figured it out. I just used the paint tool as my path and applied the write on behavior to it. Then i just put my mask on top of it and made sure my paint brush size was bigger than the mask.

Return to posts index

lasvideo
on Jul 2, 2007 at 10:04:18 pm

I believe thats it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]